Fire Marshall? EPA law hopefully a quick response — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fire Marshall? EPA law hopefully a quick response

Itchin2DipItchin2Dip Posts: 228Member ✭✭✭
Hopefully I can get a quick answer...I got a feeling its coming today. I am only doing this as a hobby... I have built a very well designed 8x8 booth which is seals, exhaust fumes cross no electric motors, laminate glass and led lights are sealed from booth, I paint maybe 10 cups a week at most..... a hard hat here and there... If I get that visit from the fire marshall? Is there a limit of paint you can spray per year or any thing I can go off... I don't advertise... I show I just do this as a hobby... but we all know we got to get our material money back..... what can I say to keep the heat down and from basically being shut down?

Comments

• Itchin2DipItchin2Dip Posts: 228Member ✭✭✭
    Louisiana baton rouge area
    its not neighbors they love me, and they think its awesome... I leave our sports car 20 feet from my booth nothing on it.... so that makes them feel a lot better. another side line painter got visited this morning.. he doesn't do hydrographics tho
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,288Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    That's is all based on your local city, county, and state codes. For Ohio? Any emissions source requires a PTIO (Permit to Install and Operate) which is a pain in the **badword** to fill out. Tracking emissions/VOC's, equipment maintenance, etc is all required. For my city, Fire suppression system and maintenance/testing is also required.

Unfortunately I have no idea what would be required in your area.
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,169Member ✭✭✭✭
    If he don't ask the question don't answer it....... and be careful how u answer the ones he does ask....... he probably has no idea about activator and such so don't mention it !
    Ok.  On the hobby side of it.   There should be some limit.  I see OHW is 50 state compliment.   Does that mean the Voc level is low enough? Is it Megan to spray water base behr paint?   That way I can always keep That paint out with my guns.  It's a hobby 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 11,953Administrator El Jefe
    Once you build a booth? They ain't gonna consider it a hobby anymore...you are charging for the cups? Therefore it's a business...Guys are getting turned in a LOT more lately...not sure why...I think it may be that the authorities are getting wise to social media...hell the cops and FBI and other civil authorities do it all the time...but after what I have gone through trying to get permitted? I don't wonder why guys try to stay under the radar. The downside is always that you might get caught.

And also because of all that I have paid and the hoops I have had to jump through? I won't hesitate to call the EPA or AQMD or Fire Marshall or WHOEVER and turn in any unlicensed dipper that tries to bid and openly compete with me...I have NO problem with turning someone in especially if they KNOW they are competing against me...that's taking food off my families plate and I am really past the point of being fed up with it...

So the guy that is doing it? (and you know who you are because you are only 10 minutes away from me) You have been warned...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,361Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If you have a booth, you are a business. Fire marshal isn't going to care how much effort you put into building it... unless your name is Binks... Your insurance isn't going to cover that. My advice is to use waterbased paint. That's not flammable...
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,407Member ✭✭✭✭
    Buy a couple cans of aqualac or hydro solutions paint to show him keep all other stuff hidden. Remember its water transfer printing not dip tank which may make them think its as toxic as say chroming  
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,169Member ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a business license ????

I guess what im saying is ..... if you are not a " business " I don't see where he can inspect or do anything. Might be some different laws in LA idk.

Feel free to correct me if im wrong but the fire marshal cant tell u what hobby to choose. But, If you are a established business he can sure step in at any time.
    yep just because I have a booth doesn't mean I have a business... it means I don't want over spray on my cars parked in the driveway, or my Harleys, or anyone else's property for that matter. and I take pride in my hobby. but there is no competition for that matter either.... just body shops.... I have a 8 x 8 paint booth with a 36" walk through door.

now for taking money for the cups, they give me money for what I get the cups for and material.... but its just friends and family and friends of friends.... I do no advertising, I may show my work online, but I am the one that just reads the message that they request something done... maybe I like to just do everything for "Free" I cant help I pay just a little extra for the cups than the next guy that owns a business... overall we are priced the same....... but I am not cutting any ones throat..... heck, I do like 5-8 cups a week and maybe a skull or 2.... I am mainly going to get into just doing my own creations.... and sell them, but not directly....
    kind of like if I owned a metal building, lifts, toolboxes with 100k in tools and equipment...... doesn't mean I own a mechanic shop "business".... just well equip..... to work on cars as a "hobby"
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,361Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

I cant help I pay just a little extra for the cups than the next guy that owns a business... overall we are priced the same....... but I am not cutting any ones throat..... heck, I do like 5-8 cups a week and maybe a skull or 2.... I am mainly going to get into just doing my own creations.... and sell them, but not directly....

I dont think @K2Concepts meant you at all. Especially since he said

So the guy that is doing it? (and you know who you are because you are only 10 minutes away from me) You have been warned...

kind of like if I owned a metal building, lifts, toolboxes with 100k in tools and equipment...... doesn't mean I own a mechanic shop "business".... just well equip..... to work on cars as a "hobby"

The problem with this logic is that "paint shops" have a TERRIBLE record of starting on fire. And when they go, they go BIG. His job is everyone ELSE'S protection in your neighborhood. 30 gallons of solvent based paint doesn't care if you are only a hobby when it catches fire, its still going to take your house down... and the neighbor's too.

And if you don't think it makes a difference, call your insurance company and let them know about your "hobby" and see what happens to your rates.
    I knew what k2 meant.   Sounds like he has someone cutting his throat. 
    Well.   I would never keep 30 gallons.    I have a few quarts and a few gallons of reducer.  And it's not illegal to have that stored here period.  but since I first wrote the post.  I did get a explosion proof cabinet for solvent paint.    It's gonna stay locked and if he ever comes over.   He has no right for me to open.    I just answer questions.  And when people come to me,  I def make it worth my while.  
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,288Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Actually it sounds like you already have your answer and don't want or need our advice. :confused: Carry on and do what you will. Nobody here is going to stop you.

Simple fact is that there are things you can and cannot do on your property. As much as we don't like it? We can't. Try asking if it's ok to dump your used motor oil into the ditch in front of your house. Business or not? The City/County authorities are not going to like it, and you can get fined. If you had all that $100k of tools in your garage and a hobby of working on cars but had an oil trail coming out of your garage into a storm drain? You can still get fined. There are codes and regulations you must follow no matter where you live.

In my city there I can actually have 20-30 gallons of solvent based material stored outside a flammable cabinet... (I'm not 100% sure if it was 20 or 30 gallons...). But that's in a business, not in your home. Not sure what the limit is there. You'd be surprised how quickly you can get various solvent based paints, aerosol cans, thinners, etc. adding up in your shop.
    Talked with fire Marshall.  Everything's ok.  I can continue as i have been doing.   He said everything was very thought out and for a hobby,  he wish everyone would go to the measures I did.  

And your right.  I did pretty much answer my question by the time I got back.   But I would never asked your advice if I didn't want it.  And there is always that big If.  But what if there wasn't that big oil trail too. I completely understand where y'all are coming from.  But it's just a fine line and I didn't want my passion crushed this morning.    If he would have came and said halt everything,   Until I get this this and this.....  then this would be over with.  I started with a 2x4 tank a couple rolls of film and some husky guns.   I don't have the money or the ease of taking a big business loan.  But I was just looking of how to word the process and maybe a certain average limit of what can be sprayed.  what I'm doing to be able to continue until I reach that level. And the truth prevailed. Basically.  He said the amount I'm spraying, and my setup that i did my homework.  So,'thank y'all for the advice.  And hopefully one day.   I'll have the whole big shop thing.  Until then,  I'm going to enjoy every evening that I enjoy this.  I feel very lucky to be where I am to say it started with $278.     Now I have two tanks.  I did a addition to be able to cut film and have a nice area to  display my work.   And a couch to lay around on and watch TV 
    Great to hear! Glad it worked out!!
    thanks
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 11,953Administrator El Jefe
    Yea @Itchin2Dip I was not talking about you brother...most everyone would respect each other when it comes to business...and it shows by the way you guys conduct yourselves on the forum and in real life at the remotes...everyone has each others backs...hell I even had 2 guys come by yesterday to get help...one guy had a forklift run into his tank and it was an emergency until he gets his tank fixed and another guy just needed help...thought it was his gun and activator...turned out it was just bad film...they both happened to be there at the same time and got to be friends so by the end of the day we all had a great time and they can stop by for advice or help anytime...and that's what it is all about...

Sorry didn't mean to jack your thread but I know that "bad seed" reads my forum and it was just eating at me...

On the flip side? I am glad you took the honest approach and everything worked out ok...so the next time someone complains? The Fire Marshall will simply tell them he has already checked into the matter...which is the best thing that could have happened to you...carry on my friend...
    dude that's awesome,!!!!! yep, that's all I could do..... And he sees spraying 3-6 oz at a time.... and the precautions I took... That's why I went that route.. but we all know that guy that plays by the rules 100% and will shut you down in a heartbeat...... I wouldn't do anything to harm my family.... My paintbooth which is located in a nice metal portable building is away from my house a good bit.... and I am doing nothing but going to get safer and more legit..... and yea apparently these bad seeds don't take long to get when they see your busy.... but I believe it was towards the other guy there is no competition here.... but there are those ones that just hate to see people succeed I hope everything works out and don't let him get to you HATERS GONE HATE!!!! that means your doing something they cant!!