Paint to Wood and Glass without a primer

HydroSolutionsHydroSolutions Posts: 64Member ✭✭✭

Did you know that Hydro Solutions is an all in one waterborne paint designed specifically for the hydrographic industry.

You can paint directly to any surface without the need for primer.

Get 10% off your order with coupon code IntroBev

Comments

• smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,785Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paint straight to wood and glass?

I tried to find it on your website. Which paint is it?
  • HydroSolutionsHydroSolutions Posts: 64Member ✭✭✭
    All of our paint is formulated the same, so anything you see on the website will work without a primer directly to the surface. Since it is all water based you can mix the paints together to come up with your own custom colours! Just prep the areas and paint away!
    Great timing, just last night, the wife was asking about how to dip wood (keep the dirty jokes out of it).. I've always read wood had to be sealed.

Could you explain the process needed to use this for both raw (sanded) wood and glass? I'll be ordering it for the wife.
    So for the wood you just need to sand it and get any grease and oil off so its down to bare dry wood, get rid of any dust. Any glass products you need to sand blast to rough it up as the paint will not stick to a smooth surface, wash it, dry completely then paint. Don't forget gloves as the oil from your bare hands can cause problems as well.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,257Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    So HydroSolutions will seal the wood and prevent it from swelling? I'm intrigued... Normally something like a spar urethane, 2k epoxy primer, etc. is required for this. I would be worried using something that is not 100% waterproof on a nice rifle stock. If the wood moves accuracy can be affected.
  • Itchin2DipItchin2Dip Posts: 228Member ✭✭✭

So HydroSolutions will seal the wood and prevent it from swelling? I'm intrigued... Normally something like a spar urethane, 2k epoxy primer, etc. is required for this. I would be worried using something that is not 100% waterproof on a nice rifle stock. If the wood moves accuracy can be affected.

I thought the same as well

Most riffle stocks from the factory are already sealed, so you should just have to clean, sand and paint. But we have also done lots of wood that isn't sealed and MDF that hasn't been sealed, and we have not had any issues with swelling.

The top and bottom of this pillar is MDF, it was painted dipped and cleared and there has been no swelling at all
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,257Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Thanks! MDF is an ideal test medium also. That stuff swells if you look at it wrong!
    So, you could do plywood, particle wood, ect?

Just sand, paint, dip, clear, mount on wall..
    Yes the paint will seal it!
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,608Member ✭✭✭✭
    I love this paint. Got my first gallon of it the other day and it sprays like a dream and the coverage is great. HydroSolutions A+ in my book
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭
    Is it direct to plastic as well?
    @Archer0545 from my own testing, it will go direct to some plastics and is similar to Aqualac in that regard. Polypropylene will still require an adhesion promoter. ABS likely will not.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe

I love this paint. Got my first gallon of it the other day and it sprays like a dream and the coverage is great. HydroSolutions A+ in my book

This...
    There is a built in adhesion promotor in the paint so you can paint direct to ABS, polypropylene will require heat treatment. It doesn't hurt to apply additional adhesion promotors if you choose to.
    edited April 2017
    @HydroSolutions I really do LOVE your paint due to it being so similar to my beloved Aqualac. And I do believe HydroSolutions is actually superior to Aqualac 35 Series due to the DTM capabilities (much like Aqualac 38 Series). But my findings were different when it comes to Polypropylene, and I believe that your statement is slightly misleading. I coat thousands of polypropylene parts every week that do not require flame treatment with our normal process, and HydroSolutions did not stick any better to the parts than Aqualac with no adhesion promoter applied. Both passed with flying colors after a quick application of NanoChem AP.

As with ALL coatings, test everything thoroughly before using on a project. HydroSolutions is fantastic paint.

Here's a link to my testing procedure so you can decide for yourself:
    http://k2forums.com/discussion/7342/hydro-solutions-vs-aqualac-adhesion-testing-pic-heavy/p1?new=1

Again, I'm not taking anything away from your paint. It's great. I simply don't want someone going out and spraying plastics without first testing.

Edit: The test was performed some time ago, and doesn't account for any changes in the formulation which may have occurred since then. If something has changed to increase adhesion, the test results are no longer accurate.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,146Administrator El Jefe
    edited April 2017
    Yea I believe they changed the formula slightly...never the less the stuff is simply amazing paint...

Yea I believe they changed the formula slightly...never the less the stuff is simply amazing paint...

I agree 100%.
    Thanks everyone! We've worked very hard on our paint formula to make is as user friendly as possible!
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 944Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone! We've worked very hard on our paint formula to make is as user friendly as possible!

@HydroSolutions are you in the states or Canada, were in Minnesota where do I order it from?
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,608Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Libertyman you can order Hydro Solutions at liquid venom shop. They are in Canada use IntroBev for 10% discount right now

@Libertyman you can order Hydro Solutions at liquid venom shop. They are in Canada use IntroBev for 10% discount right now

Just like @DeviousDips says! Thanks! ;)
    Our paints are VOC free and we can ship anywhere in the world!