tacky cloth

smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
before y'all paint and/or prime, do y'all wipe the part down with some sort of tacky cloth to remove any lint/ect?

If so, where do you get it from? What it's called?

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,729Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tack cloth u can get anywhere pep boys or your favorite place lowes lol
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes @smedlin you can get them just about anywhere 
    You should have one or two if you ordered guns from k2 concepts in his little care package he sends with them
    yea, i did... but I know i will need more.

Yeah you will plus all the other supplies add up quick 
    Look at autobody supplies online get everything in one shot
    edited March 2017
    looch said:

Yeah you will plus all the other supplies add up quick 

Yea, I'm in for almost 30K. Stuff get's expensive really fast .
    @smedlin you just touched on the spending wait until you get up and running then ohio remote time to take out a loan. Lol
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 214Member ✭✭✭
    A tack cloth should last a long time for you, just keep it in a zip lock type bag between uses.

And you should also try to find a local "jobber" or paint Store, one that services Auto Body Shops. If you get with them they will deliver or atleast give you discounts on everything. Sometimes it is nice to by from local paint stores if available.  (And they usually can send business your way and have plenty of info to give you too)
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,253Member, Moderator El Moderator

A tack cloth should last a long time for you, just keep it in a zip lock type bag between uses.

This. Always wash and dry your parts and reduce the material on the part before using the tack cloth. Fold it into smaller squares. Use each square until it starts to look dirty, then turn to another square. You should have 8-16 of these squares per tack cloth.

Hell, we used to tack cloth entire firetrucks and they would barely look dirty afterwards. If using on properly cleaned parts to be dipped, one should last a very long time.

@NotSoFast , y'all "wash em with soapy water"?

At bigbrains training, prior to each paint/clear/whatever step, we sprayed the part with a de-greaser.

That's one of the reasons i want to go to the remote training. Learn from different "masters" and see how THEY do things.. combine what works best for ME afterwards.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Degrease first. After you paint, dip, etc. there should not be any contaminants before you clear. If there is, you need to diagnose the contaminant and remove it from your process.
    smedlin said:

@NotSoFast , y'all "wash em with soapy water"?

At bigbrains training, prior to each paint/clear/whatever step, we sprayed the part with a de-greaser.

That's one of the reasons i want to go to the remote training. Learn from different "masters" and see how THEY do things.. combine what works best for ME afterwards.

On the firetrucks, we sanded, then wiped down with Prepsall, then tack cloth.
  • versuspaintversuspaint Posts: 214Member ✭✭✭
    Before we use wax and grease remover, we use the aerosol glass cleaner (like spray-a-way). It is a little expensive, but it does an awesome job of tacking care of any contaminants that the degreaser doesn't. It also works good before clearing a dipped part.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    Many tac cloths will leave a residue so be careful...that's why I like those anti static cloths I give you guys...BASF makes them I believe...best ones I have found so far...

Many tac cloths will leave a residue so be careful...that's why I like those anti static cloths I give you guys...BASF makes them I believe...best ones I have found so far...

I ordered some of the ones midohio said he uses. Just a small box to try them out.
    For those that are not familiar with tack cloths, just barely rub them over the part lightly. As Jim said, if you rub too hard, the waxy substance on the cloth will transfer to your part.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,399Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Usually tac clothes are saturated with mineral oil