Timeline for my FFL — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timeline for my FFL

norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 669Member ✭✭✭
I though I'd post a thread of the timeline for getting an FFL

I talked to BATFE with a few questions before sending in my application. Application was sent on 3/23/2017. BATFE says about a 6 week turn around time. I had one many years ago along with all my California BS to sell guns. Not planning on going that route this time. Way too much time and effort for little return. Sine I work out of my home property at this point, this will be a home based FFL, so that may interest even more people.

I'll post here as things progress.

Comments

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 676Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting that. I didn't know about a home based FFL. Good to know
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,105Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Thanks for posting that. I didn't know about a home based FFL. Good to know

You can get a home based FFL at your home based business. Just have to watch local codes/regulations. There's a guy I know whose county won't let him sell firearms, but he can modify/coat them. The next county over is about 100 feet behind his property and he would be allowed to there. LOL. Crazy rules...
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 669Member ✭✭✭
    Our county doesn't even have a business license. The city, however, is sort of a nightmare. I used to manage a gun store in town and it was a pain. Everyone gets their fingers in your business.
    Update on FFL progress. ATF received my application and cashed my check on 3/28/17, so 5 days in. Updates as progress continues...
    Update, got a call from ATF for an appointment for my interview yesterday. That is 5 weeks from the date I sent in my application. My interview is on 5/18/2017. Will update then.
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 804Member ✭✭✭
    Interested in this as well! Thanks for sharing your experience!
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
    Be careful wording things........ Don't make them thing u need a manufacturing license ? js
    Sreynolds said:

Be careful wording things........ Don't make them thing u need a manufacturing license ? js

The agent asked what I was going to be doing and I told her decorating firearms. She said like coatings and I said yes. She said I had the right FFL picked.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,105Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yep. You should be good. I think there is a gray area if you buy firearms, coat them, and the resell the firearms... My agent said that could be considered manufacturing. I've heard others have been told it is not. Either way, something to watch for. Get permission in writing just in case.

If it is "manufacturing" you run into much more than just the correct FFL, like ITAR, Manufacturing reports, etc.

Yep. You should be good. I think there is a gray area if you buy firearms, coat them, and the resell the firearms... My agent said that could be considered manufacturing. I've heard others have been told it is not. Either way, something to watch for. Get permission in writing just in case.

If it is "manufacturing" you run into much more than just the correct FFL, like ITAR, Manufacturing reports, etc.

Yeah, don't want any part of that. And don't want any part of sales in California. Been there, got the tee shirt...
  • SreynoldsSreynolds Posts: 1,050Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like u got the bases covered ! But , like Ive seen mentioned on here many times....... Sometimes folks get carried away talking about the process, whatever it may be.... and eyebrows start raising!!
    Sreynolds said:

Sounds like u got the bases covered ! But , like Ive seen mentioned on here many times....... Sometimes folks get carried away talking about the process, whatever it may be.... and eyebrows start raising!!

Nothing wrong with talking about the process with others for their information. Everything is straight up. Talked to ATF before I even started the process. They have been very helpfull so far.
    Update: Had my interview with a nice lady from ATF today. It too about an hour to go over the paperwork and for her to look to see if i had a safe and a place to work. She informed me that the state (California) would require a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in order to have the FFL. I called the state DOJ and they informed me that that was true, and also that I would ahve to be on the stated dealers list (called the Centeralized List of Dealers) even though I would not be selling guns. Apperantly, they now have a seperate list for exempted FFL licensees that are not in the business of selling guns. Basically a way to get another fee out of you.

ATF says 4-6 week (but probably sooner) for my FFL to go through. The COE is going to take 60 days, and the dealer's list application will be 2-3 weeks. The kicker is that I can not take in any gun until I have these three licenses in place, and that I can not even apply toe the Centralized List until I have my FFL and COE in hand. All this BS just so I can have a bound book. Gawd I hate this state more and more each day. Updates to come...

PS... The COE will cost about $100 by the time I get it with live scan and all. The Centralized List deal is a flat $115. Not a ton of money, but still pisses me off...
    Update. Recieved my FFL on 6/15/2017. That is about 10 weeks or so since I origionally sent in my application, and almost a month after having my interview. Now on to the COE and Centeralized list...
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 676Member ✭✭✭
    That's awesome news bud. 
    Sweet!