First full gun dipped — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First full gun dipped

Fejery4491Fejery4491 Posts: 114Member ✭✭✭
Had a local LEO who had a beat up old shotgun that he wanted refurbished....lots of filling holes, sanding, and time getting the pitted barrel nice again. He was super thrilled with how it turned out.

OHW light tan, Kansas hydrographics brown digital film, and Big Brains Dead Flat Clear

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,465Member ✭✭✭✭
    Great job 
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,203Member ✭✭✭✭
    Great job, looks like you had lots to fix before dipping
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,189Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Very well done
  • RonnieRonnie Posts: 72Member
    Nice job
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Looks good. Just remember you need an FFL to be doing such things.
  • Fejery4491Fejery4491 Posts: 114Member ✭✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe I need an FFL since I'm not "engaged in business"

Still just a hobby for us at this time, doing work for family and friends. I want to get some training under my belt before I start selling my services. Then I'll probably have to look into an FFL.
  • PTC_HydroGraphXPTC_HydroGraphX Posts: 1,107Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Fejery4491 That looks pretty darn good.

I'm with @MidOhioHydrographics. I'd still look into the dipping for family and friends issue. You may not be engaged in business but you are changing the appearance of a firearm for another individual besides yourself and there may be some issue with that even if you're not collecting monies for it. A quick call to your ATF should clear up the issue and since you are a LEO I might assume you already know someone down there.

Also just a tip it looks like you have some trapped air on the barrel. Nothing a little airbrushing wouldn't fix. =)
    Any time you take possession of someone else's firearms your supposed to have a ffl to do anything to it
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,706Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah it's a gray area. Just call your ATF, be very clear about what you're doing, and ask them what they think. I'm honestly not sure since you didn't charge him and it was just for fun, but you're flirting with federal regulations. Like the guy on here that was going to get away with it because he could have them sign a paper that he was "borrowing" the firearm for a couple days and that meant he then "owned it" for that period of time. No need to risk it. Call and ask, and be certain. Also, document the phone call. Who you spoke to, what was discussed, and a date/time of the call. Maybe even have them email you a confirmation so you have it in writing. Cover your butt.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 846Member ✭✭✭
    I like it!
    I wonder how that would work here in Texas.

here, there is no real registration for firearms. You can sell them to your friends, give them away, whatever. And there is NO documentation required for it.
    Dam im moving to texas lol
  • Gotcha_coveredGotcha_covered Posts: 471Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    @smedlin I believe ffl is required in Texas to Modify apperence of serial number parts
    smedlin said:

I wonder how that would work here in Texas.

here, there is no real registration for firearms. You can sell them to your friends, give them away, whatever. And there is NO documentation required for it.

That's the same in Ohio. The ATF is a Federal agency, meaning it regulates nationally and you are bound by their rules as well.
    k, thanks.
    @PTC_HydroGraphX just to be clear, I am not a LEO but the owner of the shotgun is. Also, thanks for the tip. That trapped air you see was my excuse to order an airbrush. Hopefully soon I can get decent at touch ups and turn good dips into GREAT dips. Still very new at this and could probably count the number of parts I've done on my fingers and toes, so I still have alot to learn.

@MidOhioHydrographics I will definitely give them a call and make sure. I've called them in the past to get clarification on different laws dealing with building nonserialized 80% guns (another hobby of mine) and I quickly learned not to trust internet hearsay and just rather go right to the source. Im usually a "easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" type of guy, but not when it comes to federal regulations. That's a headache I certainly don't need on my life. Thanks for your insight!

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I really appreciate them.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,673Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    "Easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission"... I totally agree. But those guys have NO sense of humor
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,467Administrator El Jefe

"Easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission"... I totally agree. But those guys have NO sense of humor

This...
    @WileECoyote trust me I know. I one time told an ATF agent that I thought Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency. Lets just say I thought my joke was alot funnier than they did.
  • DippenDaveDippenDave Posts: 21Member
    Do you need a FFL if your only dealing in parts and not the whole gun
    Anything with a serial number you do
    Just finished my personal Superblack Eagle in True Timber DRT
  • Mrbakaysa29Mrbakaysa29 Posts: 51Member
    Looks awesome @Fejery4491
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,147Member ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice