Clear Over Water Based Paint — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clear Over Water Based Paint

irishpete86c4irishpete86c4 Posts: 142Member ✭✭✭
If you use a water based base do you need to use a water based clear? I always thought that you could put water based over oil based but not vice versa (that is house painting anyway).

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,707Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Nope. Solvent based 2k clears (just regular clear) is fine. But we don't think we really use "oil" based anything.
  • f0xy17f0xy17 Posts: 20Member
    As above, won't be any issues. Just be extra careful that your basecoat is dry, otherwise it will start to crack beneath the clearcoat. 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,140Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Yeah. You shouldn't be using anything "oil based". 2k solvent clears work just fine over properly dried water based paints.
  • irishpete86c4irishpete86c4 Posts: 142Member ✭✭✭
    Ah ok. I thought oil based and solvent based were similar.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,476Administrator El Jefe

Not in the least...
    In the UK, they are one in the same. 
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,615Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oil based is what you put on a gloss door in your house with a brush, and clean up with mineral spirits- solvent based (cellulose in the U.K.) is what you spray, and clean up with lacquer thinner/acetone
    Thanks for the replies! Y'all rock.
    edited March 2017
    Oil based is what you put on a gloss door in your house with a brush, and clean up with mineral spirits- solvent based (cellulose in the U.K.) is what you spray, and clean up with lacquer thinner/acetone

Its the difference in paint terminology has me misunderstanding you :)
    One hit wonder is Welsh so he understands the UK better than most on here...
    One hit wonder is Welsh so he understands the UK better than most on here...
    Just thought as he was calling it lacquer thinner/acetone.

I'll get the hang of it yet :blush:
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,615Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I painted in the U.K. For about 5 years - a different animal over there
    @onehitwonder Just curious as to why lacquer is not very popular. From what I have read the recoat window is wide open no time limit. Is it because of the health issues?

@onehitwonder Just curious as to why lacquer is not very popular. From what I have read the recoat window is wide open no time limit. Is it because of the health issues?

Yea that would be one of them...that stuff could knock a buzzard off a manure pile...
    80% of the time I wear a respirator. Wore it when I Sprayed the hood of my car yesterday with Lacquer paint and clear. Stuff is brutal, smells like evil lol...
    I have to wear my supply hood when I am just pouring it out into my PPS cups...good lord...