First time — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First time

TraumaChaserTraumaChaser Posts: 45Member
edited March 2017 in Business
So I started dipping drone remote controllers and had a lot of people ask about them so I saw an opportunity to do something I enjoyed, make some extra income, and give my fellow racers a good deal since I don't have any overhead like a dedicated business. I'm now kinda wanting to expand because my friend has a auto customizing shop and promises me tons of business. So I've just been saving the little I'm making on the small dips to hopefully put toward a pro large tank. We will see how far it goes. But business has been good the 2 weeks since I started posting in fb groups. I'm already set to bring in 500+ in the next 4 weeks. It's almost to the point where I've really outgrown my plastic tub. So that's a little back story. Today one of my customers got his tx in the mail and sent me a 10$ tip. I thought that was pretty cool and made me feel good about the quality of work I try and put out. I still have a lot to learn and this forum has really helped me out. No more areosols, air brushing touch ups, little tips and tricks like cutting slits in the tape for the film to expand...glad I stumbled on this place. If anyone has a tank they are selling for a good price shoot me a message. I'm keeping my eye on the classifieds hoping to find that perfect tank for some giveaway price lol. Probably won't happen since everyone here would know what they have lol.

Oh, and after I tried a white base coat aerosol can of OHW paint I was so impressed with it I ordered some for my hvlp gun. That can didn't last long lol. I long for the day where I can buy multiple colors and in bulk lol.

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,673Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main colors are white tan black and i think pink you can buy the candy concentrate and tint to save on inventory for now and keep looking on the for sale section on here 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,192Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Yeah. Aerosols are about half or more propellant in the cans, not usable paint. They don't go as far as they seem like they should.

Sometimes you can find a great deal on used tanks. Unfortunately, some guys need the money badly and let them go cheap. Of course you have to remember that "cheap" to one is prohibitively expensive to another. Just a decent hydrographics set up will run you around $10k for a hobbyist. That's a used or DIY tank and paint booth, guns, compressor, paint, sanding/buffing supplies, and more. Plus the knowledge to use all of it correctly.
  • TraumaChaserTraumaChaser Posts: 45Member
    Yeah I've been looking but I'm in no hurry to purchase. I'd want to take a class before I sunk that much money in. The classes I've looked at all are out of state and really expensive lol.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I've been looking but I'm in no hurry to purchase. I'd want to take a class before I sunk that much money in. The classes I've looked at all are out of state and really expensive lol.

Where ya from?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,081Administrator El Jefe
    I don't think they are really expensive...compared to what the trainers could normally make in a day? Typically we bill out $2000 a day printing stuff...so it's actually a loss for some of us...and most of us are trying to cram 10 years or more of our experience and knowledge into a couple days for the trainees...That's gotta be worth something...

I don't think they are really expensive...compared to what the trainers could normally make in a day? Typically we bill out $2000 a day printing stuff...so it's actually a loss for some of us...and most of us are trying to cram 10 years or more of our experience and knowledge into a couple days for the trainees...That's gotta be worth something...

Then you figure the savings from a year's worth of paint, film, other materials and your time while trying to teach yourself something you don't know in the first place.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotSoFast said:

Then you figure the savings from a year's worth of paint, film, other materials and your time while trying to teach yourself something you don't know in the first place.

This right here for the truth.
  • TraumaChaserTraumaChaser Posts: 45Member
    It's expensive to me considering I only dip small RC things. Tx, bodies, Xbox, and PS4 controllers. So by the time you figure in the class and travel and board just to do a few small dips a month it is expensive. Like I said if I was going to start doing bigger and more complicated dips and buying professional equipment then yeah I would deffinatley take a class. This isn't my full time job. I'm a firefighter/paramedic and this is more of a hobby now that I dip a few things a month to cover the costs and still make a few bucks.
    If I were trying to save money in reference to dipping a few items, I'd save thousands by paying someone else to do it in the first place.

I get it...this is all expensive and not everyone sees the cost/benefit of training. But if you were interested in martial arts as a hobby, would you take classes or just start busting up furniture on your own? =)
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,081Administrator El Jefe
    THAT made my week...