DTM primer over plastic? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DTM primer over plastic?

Hey guys I'm painting a dashboard I have totally stripped. It has a bit if texture to it and I wanted to use high build filler primer and wet sand to get a smooth surface before basecoat. I have a bunch of 5 star xtreme Direct to metal high build primer  laying around. Can this be applied over the plastic? Obviously adhesion promoter before coating. Thanks! My concern was it says direct to metal but says it can be used over fiberglass. Doesn't mention plastic. Can it be used? Thanks! 

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,812Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Since you're going to be Sanding anyway, spray some and do an adhesion test.

On a side note, sand the texture first and save some primer work. Get some 400 and a power sander and knock it down. Then it shouldn't take multiple coats of primer, AND you'll have a nice profiled surface to prime to. Should hook beautifully.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,564Administrator El Jefe
    In my experience? It never worked for us...I guess that's why they call it "Direct To Metal" and not "All Purpose"...
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,635Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I'd mess with that combo
  • fisherman302fisherman302 Posts: 87Member
    Thanks for your help guys