Starting up — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting up

AquaPrintersAquaPrinters Posts: 12Member
Ok so I've been trying to get into this for long time. Been doing swirl dips for a while now and ready to do some film. A lot changed since first time I started researching all this. I want to do a few basic dips. Before I go full blown spending 100s. So question is what's a decent priced activator spray and good place to get decent roll of film. Not interested in 12 inch sample packs. Also is self etching primer my best bet before base coat. And what's recommended for base coat enamel, regular does it matter?? 

Comments

• Fejery4491Fejery4491 Posts: 135Member ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, the cheapest decent activator gun is the Air gunsas sold on K2shoponline for $170. As far as quality films, use any of this sites vendors and you should be ok. I've personally been using Kansas Hydrographics and have been very happy. Even a hobby setup is going to end up costing you several thousand $.
  • AquaPrintersAquaPrinters Posts: 12Member
    Yea I'm looking as of dip 2 or 3 things see if I like it then move onto the thousands of dollars. I'm talking put film in a bucket aerosol can of activator and few pieces of film 5 ft by 2ft or something. If I enjoy it in sure I will I'll buy the spray gun big tank all that. 
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,585Member ✭✭✭✭
    @AquaPrinters also you won't need a primer if you use OHW or hydro solutions DTP from Kansas Hydro. Look through the sponsors of the Forum and you can find many Hydrographic paints that won't need primer and will have a very long dip window so you can prep and paint parts and they can sit for months before you dip 
    @DeviousDips thanks for the info. Any suggestion on where to go to get a cheap start up set I don't need air guns an tanks just yet. I want a basic start up set aerosol can of activator and couple feet of film. If I like it as much as I think I will then I'm pulling out the card and I'll go on a shopping spree. As of now can't convince the ole lady to spend 100s or thousands until I present something worthy. She's already amazed with swirl dips and showed her a few videos so she's curious. 
    @AquaPrinters look into Dipdemon. They are a forum sponsor and they carry all the aerosol sprays and activators
    @AquaPrinters I would invest in hvlp or lvlp spray guns for activator instead of the aerosol activator though or your gonna set yourself up for alot of inconsistencies. The paints you could try out from the cans no problem but the activator is one of the most important parts of this and a big difference between aerosol and spray guns. 
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,192Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Saying you want to learn dipping with a "kit" is like saying you want to restore antique cars with a rusty pair of pliers. Is it possible? Once in a while you can get a good dip, but you won't be consistent enough to "learn" what you are doing wrong or right. Aerosol activator does not spray a finely enough atomized mist nor does it have a consistent enough pattern to consistently yield a consistent, predictable result.
    Ok so sounds like a air gun is best way to go now the activator I see by the gallon do I just purchase 1 of those do I need to mix with anything? 
    @AquaPrinters just buy a gallon and do not mix. I would go with hydrovator or k2superbrew. Both can be purchased at k2concepts 
    @DeviousDips what kind of psi am I looking for I'm assuming use more of a wider fan spray?
    Widest you can while still getting a good pattern. I run 14 psi with a 1.4 tip
    edited March 2017
    @AquaPrinters prolly will all be a little bit different. I use the GPI with the 1.8 tip spray gun and run about 10 psi 
    @DeviousDips @Fejery4491 last stupid question but I just looked in garage an I have a Wagner flexion 590 I got for my house when i bought it. Think it could possibly work ever heard of anyone trying it out??? Just curious..
    @AquaPrinters I don't know maybe @WileECoyote or @MidOhioHydrographics or @K2Concepts can answer for you
    edited March 2017
    I doubt it would work well at all. Activator is super thin compared to paint....let alone household paints that the flexions are designed for.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,084Administrator El Jefe
    I hate to admit this but yes I know a guy in the business that uses one of those...or something similar...and he is quite good at what he does...I wouldnt do it and I am not going to out him because he asked me not to... :lol:
    Haha ok I plan on getting all the right stuff eventually but paid 250 bucks for it and house is done now just sits there waiting to be borrowed so figured I'd ask. Thanks for all the help it's appreciated and I will post a picture once I try looking for films now 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,166Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @AquaPrinters just use that to apply booth coat... That's what its best use is
    Well the Wagner spray gun did it's job after 3rd try 
    @K2Concepts @WileECoyote @Fejery4491 @DeviousDips @NotSoFast thanks for all your help still got a ways to go but for the cost of a few bucks I'm happy