Soft touch over duracoat clear — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soft touch over duracoat clear

Just wondering if anyone has sprayed soft touch over a duracoat matte clear? 

I am doing a pistol grip right now and want it to be very durable since it's for a concealed carry instructor. Was just thinking of putting using duracoat under the soft touch instead of the dead flat or 2k matte. Not that either of those products won't work because they are both outstanding clears just was thinking something specific for firearms would be a better idea. 

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,204Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I think it would be fine. But maybe our resident pro @Dinnetta_gobigbrain can chime in

As you said, a coat of dead flat, let it flash and follow by a light coat of soft touch (make sure properly applied) will be fine. I prefer just the feel of one wet coat of NanoChem Zero gloss for firearms and their grips. Has a very nice dry grippy feel to it. And plenty durable.

Remember NOTHING is invincible. Everything will wear through eventually.
  • Dinnetta_gobigbrainDinnetta_gobigbrain Posts: 196Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Absolutely. It should be fine. The entire reason for the first coat of the flat clear is what we call a "mental coat". It is hard to go from a 2 coat clear to a 1 coat clear and many want to pile it on, which causes it not to dry properly. You just can't pile it on like most other clears thinking that it will be more durable. It's already diamond tough, so you don't have to overdo it.

But, you should be fine with that first!

Let me know if you need any further help!

Dinnetta
  • Totally_dippedTotally_dipped Posts: 37Member ✭✭
    Thank you @MidOhioHydrographics and @Dinnetta_gobigbrain. I appreciate the input. Thought it would be ok but never hurts to check first.
    edited March 2017
    @MidOhioHydrographics and @Dinnetta_gobigbrain
    Well once again you were both right. It worked like a charm and the soft touch feels perfect. Thanks again.