Tank insulation — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tank insulation

SpinnerSpinner Posts: 141Member ✭✭✭
Spent a couple hours wrapping the tank with 2 inch rigid foam board. Hopefully this will help to keep it from cooling off so much.

Took three sheets to wrap this 4 foot tank. . One thickness all around with double on top.

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,671Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job ive done that myself it really helps
  • r1dd1ck913r1dd1ck913 Posts: 44Member
    I have been meaning to do this to my tank.
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭
    Did you do the bottom as well?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,199Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We used to have the tank wrapped, but One thing I've found is activator turns that rigid foam insulation in to a sticky gooey mess. My guys were getting gooey green stuff on their shirts and arms constantly, so I removed it. Line the bottom edge that sits against the top of your tank with duct tape or wipe down the edges of your tank before putting the lid
    On. It'll start eating that too and leave a sticky residue on the top edge.

May take some PE plastic C channel or some sort and line the top of the foam?
  • SpinnerSpinner Posts: 141Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip, MOH. I'm kind of a neat freak so I will definate be.on.top of that.
    Maybe, I will put some aluminum sheet in the front where I'll be working?

@Archer0545, yes I put a 2 inch piece yes underneath as well. Just wedged.it up with some foam blocks then taped.it to the side sheets.

This morning I checked the tank temperature and it said 92 degrees so I turned off the heater and we'll see what it looks like tonight. it's cold today about 35 degrees this morning so we'll see how well the insulation holds the heat.

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,157Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    The foil on the foam will help prevent the activator from melting it. If you are only dipping as a hobby, the savings outweigh the inconvenience.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,199Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited March 2017

The foil on the foam will help prevent the activator from melting it. If you are only dipping as a hobby, the savings outweigh the inconvenience.

Oh absolutely. My stuff is just that green 2" foam from lowes. No foil.
    8 hours later still at 90 degrees.
    12 hours still 89 degrees...
    24 hours later ... 86 degrees.
  • t_ozt_oz Posts: 100Member ✭✭
    I had to do it to my PA Tank. When it got cold in our warehouse it just took forever to heat up. On top of the foam insulation I put FRP along the exposed sides. Thus far, activator has not effected the FRP and looks better and easier to clean up. Tucks up under the edge nice and neat.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,580Member ✭✭✭✭
    @spinner what did you use to attach it just like hot glue or 2 way tape
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,671Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used velcro strips for mine so i can take off when needed 
    looch said:

I used velcro strips for mine so i can take off when needed 

funny...I used silicone caulk to hold mine on when I started :blush:
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,157Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my shop during the first Remote Training... :lol:
    Lol... silicone...

The bottom piece extends out 2 inches all around and wedged in place from underneath with foam pieces.
    The sides slip unDer the lip, conveniently 2 inches wide, and rest on the bottom piece.
    Then aluminum tape all the seams and exposed faces.