Hello — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hello

Been reading through the forum for a few weeks now so figured I'd join. Did my first dip a few weeks ago and got hooked. Do you guys have tips on knowing when you have used enough activator? I thought I had a good handle on it but the last couple dips I didn't get it to stick good in some sports. I wait for the glass look then dip but sometimes it gels up like I didn't spray enough and sometimes the color looks washed out like I used to much. I've been using dip ape and ohw base coat paint. Also dip ape aerosol activator. I have a gun and some HGarts activator for it. Don't know if anyone has used if or if it's any good but haven't tried it yet.

Comments

• TraumaChaserTraumaChaser Posts: 45Member
    Also I have a couple films that are have what feels like a lot of ink. I also have some that have what looks like very thin ink. I know heavier inks need more activator. How does everyone tell how much ink is on the film? Is it just by how thick the film feels?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If you have a good enough compressor you're better off starting to activate with the HVLP gun now instead of aerosol. Will be much more consistent.

Going to need photos but I'm guessing it's under activated because that is the most common issue with aerosol activators.
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,582Member ✭✭✭✭
    @TraumaChaser go to the video section and watch videos. Also go to the search bar and look up over/under activating or how to read films. It's all on here. The aerosol activator isnt helping either just because of the inconsistencies from it. Switch to the spray gun and will have more control of the activator 
    Also welcome this is a great place to learn
    Yeah I plan on using the gun for activator and clear in the summer but now I'm working out of my basement once summer comes I'll be able to work in the garage. I got a good dip this time but I'm also having troubles with touch ups. I read some suggestions about markers, water paints, using the film methods and so on. I've tried getting some film color on my brush but it ends up taking the base coat off or I can't get it to go on dark enough no matter how much ink I stir up. I think I'm going to try to mask off the spot, spray a lite base coat and try cutting the film piece and put a little water on the spot, activator on the film and applying it directly to the spot? Is this my only option since I took some base coat off? Touch ups have by far been my crutch. I'm also going to try and pick up some markers tomorrow to try. Anyone have a suggestion on markers to get? Scared I might get something that runs or changes color when I clear it. Thanks for you help everyone.

Last question...how much practice does it usually take someone to be able to dip without flaws? I think I've done about 10 dips. Most needed to be redone once. Been getting lucky on the second dips but wasting film is driving me nuts. Would like to get some speed shapes but spent so much money on supplies already I'd like to wait till I have some extra cash.
    @TraumaChaser unless you do proper training you could be at it for 6 months to a year before reading film good and having alot less mess up or redos. 
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to hobby lobby and buy some waterbased air brush paint and a set of tiny paint brushes if you mess up u just wet a cloth and try again 
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If you're touching up w activator on the film and it's removing the base, you're using far too much activator. Get your small brush wet and then swirl it around on a large area of film. Should be the consistency of thin paint. Then dab it on. Works best for very small areas.
  • NickelCityHydroNickelCityHydro Posts: 664Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum and good luck.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,164Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    What base coat are you using?
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,066Administrator El Jefe
    Welcome to the forum!...
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,189Member, Moderator El Moderator

If you're touching up w activator on the film and it's removing the base, you're using far too much activator. Get your small brush wet and then swirl it around on a large area of film. Should be the consistency of thin paint. Then dab it on. Works best for very small areas.

"Dab it on" is correct. Be gentle. Don't use linear brush strokes. That will just rub the paint off.
  • dgskidgski Posts: 54Member
    welcome and have fun and get some hvlp guns for consistency
    Ok I got some wicked color paints and an airbrush and omg it makes all the difference in touch ups. I have a hvlp gun but don't use it for base coats. I just bought some cerakote clear I'm gonna use in it.

No I'm having some issues with this film, the circuit board pattern. The film keeps getting creases in it after I activate. I have all sides taped tight with no wrinkles. It's happened 2 out of 2 times. Also the ohw base is giving me problems again. I'm going to try dipping at a smaller angle. Some of that last dip looked like camo.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,672Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cut some slits in the tape it needs a little room to expand 
    Looks underactivated...

Looks underactivated...

What makes you say that?

Looks underactivated...

What makes you say that?
    The tears in the film indicate it was not fully liquefied...also the whole thing is spotted like it was hit from a shotgun blast...surely underactivated...The red arrows show you what I am talking about...

Looks underactivated...

What makes you say that?
    The tears in the film indicate it was not fully liquefied...also the whole thing is spotted like it was hit from a shotgun blast...surely underactivated...The red arrows show you what I am talking about...

That's the pattern lol. I'll post another pic. I just did the back half but I used my hvlp to activate. Much better than the aerosol. Props to looch as soon as I put that film in the water it expanded quite a bit. That was the problem.
    Oh never mind I didn't see the arrows. I see what your saying. Anyhow. The hvlp and slits solved everything.
    Have you guys ever seen a film create its own bubbles? Like some of the film fizzes a little and the add up to a decent sized bubble. I've never had a film do that.

Have you guys ever seen a film create its own bubbles? Like some of the film fizzes a little and the add up to a decent sized bubble. I've never had a film do that.

Nope, never seen that, and I honestly think you have something else going on. Probably not the film creating bubbles.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,189Member, Moderator El Moderator

Some films are stiff enough to conceal an existing bubble until it hydrates enough to soften and reveal it.