What is a great flat clear that gets rock hard? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is a great flat clear that gets rock hard?

norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 943Member ✭✭✭
I know @MidOhioHydrographics does lots of gun parts, and I hope he chimes in here. I'm looking for a flat clear that gets rock hard. The clear I'm using now I'm not thrilled with as far as durability, and with guns, especially handguns that get holstered a ton, I need something better than I'm using right now. A plus would be something that I could get from a fourm sponsor, but in the end, I'll need to get it from whoever has the best product for the application. Thanks guys...

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,941Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Honestly? Nothing is going to hold up to holster wear. Cerakote even wears through eventually. As you carry a gun in a holster every movement you make causes the gun to move a tiny bit in the holster and the areas that rub will wear. It's unavoidable. Even the factory metal Finishes that actually penetrate the metal will wear through eventually and those are much harder than anything you can apply to the surface. Just want to establish that and make sure you (and your customers) have realistic expectations before I make a recommendation

I would say the best dipable option would be Duracoat paint and clear. But you pay for it. Standard clears like Big Brain's Dead Flat and NanoChem's Zero Gloss are both fine options, as long as you realize what they can take. NanoChem Zero Gloss (what we used on nearly 10,000 pistols last year) has a nylon additive to help with wear and abrasion resistance.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 943Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. I understand that everything will wear in a holster. I have worn out powder coat, bluing and others. I thought you might be using Nanochem on your production. I was thinking of trying it. I believe I also heard that you just put one coat on them? If so, just one medium wet coat? I know more paint equals more chipping problems.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Chipping only means bad adhesion. If the coats bite to each other they should never chip
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,941Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Correct. One wet coat. Thinner is usually "stronger" but you also don't get as much mil thickness for wear resistance.

???
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,763Administrator El Jefe
    Rock hard...nevermind...it ain't funny if ya gotta explain it... :lol:
    I guess it wasn't that funny then... =)
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,763Administrator El Jefe
    Ehh...I got a mild chuckle out of it...but I am also a huge fan of "Archer" so I guess that helped...and if you don't watch "Archer"?...Then you ain't gonna get half of the joke...
    Been on an "Archer" bender for the last few weeks. Can't wait fore the new season to start @K2Concepts