activator issues

Beginner
HVLP Gun from MYOHG.COM
1.4mm tip
12 psi
Inferno Skulls Black film
97-98 degrees for water temp
1min film soak with a 10 sec activator wait time

I keep getting bubbles or small pinholes and or BB sized bubbles on the products once dipped. wondering if bubbles are common?
Whats an acceptable amount if any?
The Fix?
preferred air pressure?
Shelf life of activators if any?
Thanks alot guys im soaking up information as fast as i can i appreciate the help

Comments

• SingleAction52SingleAction52 Posts: 703Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    You don't mention which activator you're using but I would start by raising air pressure up to 15-18psi, 12 seems a bit low to get good atomization. Also, without a picture it's difficult to say whether you're underactivated, (most likely), or getting droplets because of not atomizing well, (also a good possibility). At any rate, a picture's worth a thousand words.
    And... your water temp should be lowered to 90°.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Agree with above, especially about the photos. That helps tremendously. "Holes" can be caused by under activation, over activation, water/oil droplets in your air flow, improper atomization of your activator, incompatible paint, trapped air...
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,731Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also what tank are you using and how close to the heating element is the film 
  • Dcerasoli123Dcerasoli123 Posts: 46Member
    sorry about the lapse in time gentleman im gonna try and upload some photos here.

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Trapped air from hitting the water flat. Plus under activated. Watch some videos of the proper angle of water entry.

Also, get rid of the crap in those cans and jugs and get some better stuff.

I see the primer, but what paint are you using?
    The straight line of pin holes on the stock is too flat
    Get some light switch covers to practice on  before dipping your gun  and the rest looks under  activated 
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    NotSoFast said:

This...
    looch said:

@looch the tank is also from OHG 41x22 the heat element which has since those dips burned out is on the left bottom corner and ive been trying to keep the film to the right as much as i can but approximatley 13 1/2 inches up from the element and from right to left depends on size of piece im dipping. is there a preference on distance. i would just assume further the better. And also the basecoat was another myohg
    NotSoFast said:

Trapped air from hitting the water flat. Plus under activated. Watch some videos of the proper angle of water entry.

@NotSoFast the base coat was also an OHG product Recomended for the shadow bark graphic

looch said:

@looch the tank is also from OHG 41x22 the heat element which has since those dips burned out is on the left bottom corner and ive been trying to keep the film to the right as much as i can but approximatley 13 1/2 inches up from the element and from right to left depends on size of piece im dipping. is there a preference on distance. i would just assume further the better. And also the basecoat was another myohg
    NotSoFast said:

@NotSoFast the base coat was also an OHG product Recomended for the shadow bark graphic
    @Dcerasoli123 i sometimes have to turn my heating element off before dipping cause the bubbles from the element get under the film 
    @looch ok cool thank you. The last couple attempts have been with no heat element cause it stopped working, so ive just been adding hot water till around 97-99 degrees which ive been instructed is probably too hot. But get rid of the OHG products for sure, im cancelling my current order in a minute to check out some of your guys suggestions on paint n primer selection as well as activators.
    well my order might be here today i purchased some aerosol cans of a couple different colors and 1 activator aerosol can just to see if perhaps i was getting water in my air lines. And to test small quantities of product before a large commitment was made. Oh well guess im stuck with em now. Have you ever used any of their films?
    NotSoFast said:

@NotSoFast "better stuff" recommendations?
    @Dcerasoli123 take all the ohg stuff and literature put it on the shelf get some @onehitwonder or dtp and some film from one of the sponsors on here. Once you get the process down then go back to there products and use them and temp is way to hot 90 is the normal. I too have a pile of ohg stuff i use now and then. And may i suggest some training 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Aqualac is very new dipper friendly. I believe you can order it from @pahydrographics
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,254Member, Moderator El Moderator

NotSoFast said:

@NotSoFast "better stuff" recommendations?
    Personally, I use DTP paint from @kansashydro , K2 Super Brew, gloss clear from @onehitwonder , and Dead Flat clear from @BigBrainGraphics and love all of them.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I'm an Aqualac fan as well. Super forgiving and since it's water based it's very nice to spray if your spraying area doesn't exhaust adequately.
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,725Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    You can use the primer and paint it is us paint you just have one more step the primer .with that said when you mix the epoxy primer water it is mixed you will want to let it sit in mixing cup for 30 min before spraying then wait and spray the base. I use this paint if I need a special color other than that I would use DTP ,Aqualac ,or OHW the first two are a little more beginner friendly as for the film most of the ohg branded film are hard to use and a pain in the (bad word) to use the tree bark film from kansas hydro work great and is easy to touch up