Paint Selection??? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paint Selection???

So im new to this as of about a month ago and am currently using all MYOHG basecoats, and primers it was a kit, and was just wondering how the big players felt about these products and or what products are better to use. i dont want to blow through a bunch of top shelf stuff tryin to figure this out but i dont want to learn with garbage either. thanks

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I've never used OHG and not sure if it's their own proprietary paint or just relabeled. Is it Solvent based?

I'm a huge fan of Aqualac water based. I keep coming back to it after testing numerous others. Solvent and water based each have their advantages and disadvantages.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,673Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ohg is solvent based paint all requiring a primer first i went thru there training and still have some of there paint. The stuff is ok but takes longer to prime sand then paint as apose to something like one hit wonder  or aqualac 
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,741Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MidOhioHydrographics , what's your favorite band of paint? What's your goto?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Aqualac for sure. It's solid. Every time I test anything else we come back to a Aqualac for our production. Definitely not the convenience of the All In One paints like OHW, DTP or Low Country, but no VOC, easy water cleanup, etc. Biggest factor is price and coverage. We have tested numerous paints. Basically everything except Low Country, and have found Aqualac to cover 30% to 50% better. For example, last test was 108 oz of a solvent based compared to 74 oz of Aqualac for the same number of parts, same gun, same guy applying.

Aqualac will also require a Primer or Adhesion Promoter for some substrates, but the AP we use is also very inexpensive and easy to use. Doesn't add much for labor or material cost. Definitely not enough to justify 2 coats and/or more volume of the all-in-one paints.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,706Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    OHW is 50 state VOC compliant, btw, meaning it is legal to use in low VOC only states
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,084Administrator El Jefe

Aqualac for sure. It's solid. Every time I test anything else we come back to a Aqualac for our production. Definitely not the convenience of the All In One paints like OHW, DTP or Low Country, but no VOC, easy water cleanup, etc. Biggest factor is price and coverage. We have tested numerous paints. Basically everything except Low Country, and have found Aqualac to cover 30% to 50% better. For example, last test was 108 oz of a solvent based compared to 74 oz of Aqualac for the same number of parts, same gun, same guy applying.

Aqualac will also require a Primer or Adhesion Promoter for some substrates, but the AP we use is also very inexpensive and easy to use. Doesn't add much for labor or material cost. Definitely not enough to justify 2 coats and/or more volume of the all-in-one paints.

This...