Clear Coat Storage

Hey All, Sorry if this has been covered, but I searched and could not find the answer to this question:

Using OHW high gloss clear, once I mix the clear and Hardener/activator, then spray the WIP, am I able to store the remaining mixed clear for later use? Or does it not have a shelf life once mixed?

Comments

• BigCountryHydroBigCountryHydro Posts: 146Member ✭✭✭
     Once you mix it, I believe it only has a pot  life of 45 minutes or so depending on the speed of the activator you use.    I usually try to guesstamate how much clear I'm going to need.    In my mind it's easier to mix a little more if needed than mix to much and waste it.
  • jtagliajtaglia Posts: 2,291Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you mean later use, as the next day or later that afternoon. Make sure it's out of your gun. It will harden up & can not be used again. That's what the hardener does, it hardens it. Mix what you need,
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it hardens up in the gun, I guess that gun is trash now? Can that be cleaned out once it hardens?
  • Ryactive_RyanRyactive_Ryan Posts: 24Member
    Thanks guys. I hadn't planned on leaving it in the gun, and based on these comments, I will only mix what I think I will need. Thanks!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    smedlin said:

If it hardens up in the gun, I guess that gun is trash now? Can that be cleaned out once it hardens?

Yes hardened clear can be cleaned. It's more like a gel than a rock. Use a lot of thinner/acetone and soak it but make sure you break it down COMPLETELY before soaking it. Any plastics or seals can be damaged from soaking in thinner.
    Thanks again guys. Today will be my first time using OHW clear, so I went out and bought a new gun exclusively for this. I will be certain to clean the gun as soon as I am finished. Also first time spraying clear with an HVLP... Hope this goes well.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    If you're spraying gloss clear, you will be much better off cleaning it very thoroughly after each use. It will cut down on nibs and trash in your clear. I like the PPS system/adapters so you can fill it w/ thinner and cap it so that the thinner helps dissolve any leftovers you didn't quite get.

If you're spraying gloss clear, you will be much better off cleaning it very thoroughly after each use. It will cut down on nibs and trash in your clear. I like the PPS system/adapters so you can fill it w/ thinner and cap it so that the thinner helps dissolve any leftovers you didn't quite get.

I am not familiar with this PPS system you speak of.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,729Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    3m pps system  or devilbiss dekup system save you lots of time 
    Google it. Just a disposable cup system. Watch Jim's gun cleaning video also.
    Ok so I do know what that is... just didn't know what it was called. Have been searching for that in my area with very little success. Will have to order it online and have it shipped. Certainly seems like a time saver for sure!
    Amazon is best price I've found.