Powder coated valve covers

bigjaybigjay Posts: 60Member ✭✭
I've been dipping for 6 years now and have been the main powder coater for a business in Vernon BC. I started to experiment with cook times and temperature for Hydrographics over Powder coating and this is what I came out with. I sandblasted the covers and outgassed them at 400F for 25 min. Then coated with superchrome and half baked them at 400F for 10 min. Did not sand at all for a bond. Dipped the film on, washed and dried for 24hrs. Then put on a candy blue clear and baked at 300F for 20 min. 

Comments

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Did you do any sort of adhesion testing? I assume these were aluminum covers? Have any pics of the results?
  • bigjaybigjay Posts: 60Member ✭✭
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,400Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Those look great.
    I didn't do any adhesion testing. Usually with the washing process if the film doesn't come off the item then you have good adhesion. That's also why I only half cured the superchrome basecoat. Because the activator from the dip will actually make a bit of a chemical bond with the powder coating
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    Yepp...that's pretty much how we did it...
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,648Member ✭✭✭✭
    Those look great
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity, why powder coat it instead of simply painting it?
  • 3monkeyshydrodip3monkeyshydrodip Posts: 839Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Look great but a little lost on the super chrome step as to why it was even done. Silver paint or powder coat would have given same result and saved money.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe

Look great but a little lost on the super chrome step as to why it was even done. Silver paint or powder coat would have given same result and saved money.

This...
    yes silver paint would have given the same result. it was old stock super chrome we only had about 1/2 pound left so I used it up. some people are asking why powder coating and not just paint them. It's the final durability especially if you can get it to work on rims. some powder coating has more wax or clear in it and hydro-dipping doesn't like to stick to it even if you rough it up first. I'm still trying to figure it all out but eventually I will get it.