Heating Tank

Hey everyone,

I just recently bought a tank, 8'x4'x2' and have some questions. Everything is up and working, and I know I'm probably going to sound dumb, but how to I heat the entire tank? I have my heating side, but does that water automatically run through to the tank? Do I have to run my pumps the entire time while heating? We do auto paint and body work, so we're not strangers to this world, but on this side of things I have no clue. Any help would be appreciated and tips on getting started.
Thanks

Comments

• loochlooch Posts: 1,732Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    What tank do you have need more info and pictures 
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,403Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Running your tank while heating is a good idea. The more current you create the more even temp distribution. Covering the tank as much as possible keeps the heat in and more efficiently uses your energy. Water loses more heat the more surface area is exposed (including tank sides and bottom, and evaporation)
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭

Covering the tank as much as possible keeps the heat in and more efficiently uses your energy. Water loses more heat the more surface area is exposed (including tank sides and bottom, and evaporation)

It's not a dipping tank of course, but for reference, I lose OVER a gallon of water a day to evaporation.

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I plumbed a small circulation pump for hot tubs between the drains on the tank. Water slowly pumps from the scavenge/heat side over to the dip side. Draws about 0.2A. But if you're not dipping every day? Just turn it on the night before you'll be working and leave the pump on.
  • bmxprojectbmxproject Posts: 279Member ✭✭
    smedlin said:
    Covering the tank as much as possible keeps the heat in and more efficiently uses your energy. Water loses more heat the more surface area is exposed (including tank sides and bottom, and evaporation)
    It's not a dipping tank of course, but for reference, I lose OVER a gallon of water a day to evaporation. .
    What are yoi waiting for? Make it a dip tank!
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,880Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol @bmxproject , that made me laugh out loud

I made that canopy and stand myself btw.
  • irishpete86c4irishpete86c4 Posts: 142Member ✭✭✭
    What wood film is that on the canopy and stand... lol
  • bmxprojectbmxproject Posts: 279Member ✭✭
    smedlin said:
    lol @bmxproject , that made me laugh out loud I made that canopy and stand myself btw.
    Looks good man
  • Dipper2017Dipper2017 Posts: 1Member
    what is the correct water temperature for dipping? I have converted a small chest type freezer into a dipping tank, and without investing a lot of money, I need info as far as heating the water. Thanks!
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Dipper2017 welcome! 90 degrees F and 60 second hydration time is most common. Search around the forum using the search bar in the upper right and you should be able to find all the info you need for the basics.