Tank project. — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tank project.

dkhaglerdkhagler Posts: 95Member
edited February 2017 in DIY Tanks
Looked and read over the forum for a couple months now and think I've decided to fab up a tank.
Found this for a few hundred bucks. 4ft by 7ft 300 gallons.
Anyone see any drawbacks?

I Think I can pull the slight dent out of the back side.

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,066Administrator El Jefe
    What for? It doesn't effect the use of the tank...
  • dkhaglerdkhagler Posts: 95Member
    Just looks.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,189Member, Moderator El Moderator
    How tall is it? It looks about 5 feet with the legs. You may need to build a platform to stand on to dip. Other than that, it should be able to be made into a fine tank.
    I'll have get the dimensions for height.
    Just wanted to get opinions before I dropped the $.
    Makes more sense to me to spend a few hundred more to go stainless rather than a plastic container or freezer.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,165Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    dkhagler said:

Just looks.

Push that side up against the wall... you will get over it when you are busy
  • Archer0545Archer0545 Posts: 806Member ✭✭✭
    Probably need to reinforce it with a metal frame around the outside or it will likely bow outward from the water weight.
  • NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,189Member, Moderator El Moderator

Probably need to reinforce it with a metal frame around the outside or it will likely bow outward from the water weight.

Maybe not. It looks to be double walled and possibly insulated. It looks like it was made to be filled with liquid from the start, but I could be wrong.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,165Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    NotSoFast said:

Maybe not. It looks to be double walled and possibly insulated. It looks like it was made to be filled with liquid from the start, but I could be wrong.
    It is. No need to reinforce. It is WELL able to hold the weight
    lots of research.... lol... its a milk container... about the best and cost effective idea that I could come up with.
    Fished out and ready for pickup.
    Dimensions.
    L73x W53x H46

Cost me $600.
    Some fab work completed!

• PanamaCityHydroPanamaCityHydro Posts: 554Member ✭✭✭
    lucky, nice find
    @dkhagler Just my first thought, you are gonna want a drain on the main side of that tank. If I am not mistaken, your tank is pitched toward the drain. So any sediment and junk is now going to sit against that divider wall. We placed the weir on the "closed" end of the tank, and then we can drain it as its designed. place a bulkhead in the overflow wall with the plug accessible to the main tank and then you can drain that side when the main is empty. Keep in mind your heating elements are going to be in your overflow, so you need to leave room for them, but they are going to drop scale from them that you are going to need to remove periodically, so you need to be able to reach the bottom to wipe it out.

If you are going to make a hole for your pump to draw off the bottom, you are going to have to deal with the double wall of the tank, if you come up and over the side, you will need to have a purge/fill port at the top to prime it.
    edited February 2017

Thanks guys,

WilEcoyte,

I didn't build my dam wall all the way down.
    It's a little over 20 inches deep. I didn't want to have to worry about battling the angles.

I have the drain converted over at the bottom to pvc now for draining. (It does have a pitch)
    I went in from the side of the overflow and left a hole in the bottom which will have a shut off valve. I did this because I am going to run a pool filter/pump and if I wanted to filter tank water then I can just turn the valve. Nobody ever suggest this but I seen no damage cause from doing it. I also went in from side of the opposite end so that I wouldn't have any piping over the sides.
    Post edited by dkhagler on
    If you didn't build the damn wall to go all the way down? There is no way you can cause an "overflow" effect to get your water to flow over the filter media...also without a overflow then the water will not be able to aerate so you can allow those chemicals in the activator to "evaporate" or flash off so they do not stay in your water...

Better off not building a damn at all if that's the case...just saying...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Or maybe he doesn't give a damn... :lol:
    edited February 2017

First off.
    I edited damn as soon as I seen it.
    So no damn jokes. Lol.

I assumed as long as I'm sitting flush with water level that I would still flow over,
    reguardless if the other side is to the bottom or not, as long as i had a bottom piece welded in, I thought I would be ok. My overflow is welded on the sides and then bent and welded at bottom to be totally separate from the tank water.
    Post edited by dkhagler on
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,205Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Oh yeah you'll be ok! It's a separate chamber so it should be fine.
    I was hoping that is what you were doing. At first I had the same concern, but I guess I read between the lines .
    That moment when you have to drive home on your lunch break to take a picture.... :D
    So much for this damn discussion...
    Lol. Thanks for all damn help!
  • JustdipitJustdipit Posts: 31Member
    @dkhagler I picked me one up today. Got a great deal on it as well. I'll be getting started on it this weekend. I'll try to keep everyone posted on it as I go along.

Oh lots of cows are going to be sad to see that one go...
    lol.. I'll post pics of mine when finished.. I'm pretty close...
    Looking forward to it @dkhagler. Jim, there wasn't no cows around this place.
    All cleaned up and ready for the fab shop. Going today!!!

Holy cow...

@K2Concepts, Jim you never cease to amaze me with your personality and comments!!!! LOL....... How many gallons of water does a 8x4x3 tank hold by the way?