New to forum

Hi i just joined the forum & it looks like the perfect site for me to learn how to dip. Was going to try car parts 1st . door mirrors, wing (fender) vents & bonnet (hood)vents. in carbon on a Range rover evoque. Hope all goes well or the missus will kill me.??

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,350Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Welcome and good luck! Plenty of info here to get you through it. Search around and read/watch as much as you can before you get starts. Fair warning, it's not anywhere near as easy as YouTube makes it look. :-)
  • baconbacon Posts: 72Member ✭✭
    Welcome!

You might want to try some light switch plate covers first. YMMV
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,717Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum
  • NickelCityHydroNickelCityHydro Posts: 677Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard!
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,264Administrator El Jefe
    Welcome to the forum and thank you for joining...visit the sponsors sites for reliable products for your first dips...
  • IceMasterIceMaster Posts: 1,325Member ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum!
  • dipdemondipdemon Posts: 109Member ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum!

If the missus attempts to harm/kill you just remember there are a lot of pink/feminine/girly film patterns out there. There's guys on here that have dipped their wife shoes....
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,731Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome!
    dipdemon said:

Welcome to the forum!

If the missus attempts to harm/kill you just remember there are a lot of pink/feminine/girly film patterns out there. There's guys on here that have dipped their wife shoes....

This...made my day...
  • irissirianniirissirianni Posts: 18Member
    Hi. We are just getting started with hydrographics and have been testing the process with hard hats. So far we are going through films like crazy trying to get a successful test run with no good results yet. The film is either separating or not adhering all over. We've watched the video's on heat treating, so doing that , sanding and we're painting the hats first. We've tried dipping straight in and on angle. We've slowed down the dipping so it's not too fast. What are we missing? Our tank is a 85 We're using Emerald coating HYDROVATOR ACTIVATOR. Watching the video's makes the process so simple. Is it really that simple or do all the conditions have to be just right for success. Thanks so much. Iris
    @irissirianni Welcome to the forum. It would be easier if you could add some pictures of what is happening so we could help diagnose the issues. Conditions don't have to be just right but it does help if you are close to what the recommended conditions are. Materials goes a long way also...
    @K2Concepts thanks for the speedy reply. I've attached 4 pics. We tried one hard hat where the film only adhered to 3/4s of the hat. Thanks for this forum and thanks for your help.

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,242Member, Moderator El Moderator
    The second picture is trapped air from that part touching the water first. On hard hats, you might want to try starting with the brim first, then roll the hat back until it's upside down, then push it straight under. Any time your part has a large, relatively flat area that touches the water first will end up having bubbles and these bubbles won't adhere any ink to the part.

The others look like under activation. The voided areas didn't get enough activator to turn the film all the way to a liquid, thus those dry areas don't stick.

What kind of gun are you using to spray the activator? What size tip? Temperature of the water? What paint are you using? How long are you soaking the film prior to dipping?

And no, this is not easy to learn, especially by just watching videos. It is relatively easy once you know exactly what materials to use and the other dozens of variables that can affect your chances of success. With proper training, you are still looking at about a year's worth of practice to "get good" at dipping. It can be learned by trial and error, but it's a very long and expensive lesson. How can you teach yourself something you don't know? Also, i don't know anything about your background. If you are a professional auto painter, then you will have a leg up on part of the process, if not, then you need to learn how to properly prepare, prime, sand, paint, and clear coat the parts in addition to the dipping part of the process. I've attended tow different training classes and have been dipping almost two years and I am still learning.
    All underactivation...pratice practice practice...
    So awesome @K2Concepts and @NotSoFast. Thanks for the tips. Got full coverage this next test but now getting folding.

So awesome @K2Concepts and @NotSoFast. Thanks for the tips. Got full coverage this next test but now getting folding.

If by "folding" you mean the film folded on itself before activating, then you need to open up your dams and let the film spread out as it hydrates. Use dry fingers to spread the folds before it gets too soft and splits when you touch it.

If the folds come after activation, then it's still under activated and part of the film is not yet a liquid.
    Ahhhh I see. Okay that's great! Thank you @NotSoFast. And thank you for ALL your advise. I've had a lot if progress with all this support.
    Still underactivated...but getting better...
    We're making progress thanks to your advice but running into this issue now where the front part of the dip isn't taking. We're laying in at a 45 degree angle and rolling in. Everything else is beautiful and we worked through the folding issue but this is still a problem.

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,311Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Guessing the water is beating you. It runs over the edge before you complete the roll... Taking the print with it. Backtape the edge to give it a larger edge and try it again.
    What do you mean by back tape the edge? 

What do you mean by back tape the edge? 

Extending the trailing edge of a part by allowing about a half inch of masking tape to overhang. The film transfers to the tape and breaks off there instead of breaking along the edge of the actual part.

As seen here...

Oh I see. Okay thank you very much.