Positive or negative pressure?

bdipshydrobdipshydro Posts: 49Member
  I'm trying to find information out about positive or negative pressure paint booths I tried looking and I know I've seen it in here somewhere. can somebody point me in the right direction or send me a link to these posts. I'm not looking to build my own I plan on purchasing one so I'm not sure if they're all the same or if there's a certain one That I should look at getting.  Also what is everybody else using as far as positive and negative paint booths ? Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Itchin2DipItchin2Dip Posts: 228Member ✭✭✭
    should be negative to my knowledge
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,766Administrator El Jefe

should be negative to my knowledge

This...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,879Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Negative, running positive pushes your overspray out every crevice and lands on EVERY surface in your shop...
  • shredshred Posts: 108Member ✭✭✭
    I prefer positive pressure eliminates sucking in debris for shop if sanding is being done when running paint booth . Doesn't need to be much positive pressure. Also when you go in and out of door air is being pushed out instead of sucked in (unless you got a exhaust shutoff switch at door)
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,896Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Just need your door by your exhaust so when you enter/exit any dust isn't pulled over your parts. As long as the booth is sealed and filtered properly, you should be sucking unfiltered air from your shop. Only through the filters.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,879Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah, typically the oldest booths we had ran positive for those same reasons. So a crappy shop ended up looking even crappier. When I installed new booths, I sealed them well. Problem solved
  • bdipshydrobdipshydro Posts: 49Member
    Thank you all for you input. The door by the exhaust is a great idea. You guys are a life saver.. 
    @Militant83 Positive pressure never has good results. It ALWAYS results in overspray covering everything in your entire shop. Every "portable" booth I have seen has been made out of plastic, and constantly flakes material off the walls that gets all over your parts, negating all the benefits of using a spray booth.

Using a positive pressure spray booth does not require an explosion proof fan. But neither does using water based paints.
    If you are only using a few times a year... Do you need a booth? Keep in mind, there is NEVER enough light in a booth. Using material that blocks light down below will require you to add lighting, which makes it less "portable"
    @Militant83 I get what you mean by saying "portable" that's why I put it in quotes. You are free to build whatever you want, it is your hobby after all. I am just letting you know its probably a bit of overkill. You are going to be buffing this thing anyway, so whats the difference between 30 scuffs and 10? I painted motorcycle sets for almost 20 years, I saw VERY good results with table top booths with a foot of clearance around the part.

The paneling that you are showing from Menards is what we used to make our booth at the shop. It reflected well, and cleaned easy.
    We see alot of guys get excited about building a booth, or a tank or whatever. The build becomes the project rather than the hydrodipping. Once they get to the point where they have to start actually learning how to do it, and they see the money and effort that have to go in to the process... they kinda lose steam. So there they sit with a booth that they spent a few weeks and a thousand bucks on, trying to get rid of. Sometimes it is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to have someone do it for them, and just enjoy the results.
  • killerkoalakillerkoala Posts: 2Member
    I built a 5' (wide)x 8'(long) x 7' (tall booth out of 2x4 for framing and double wrapped in 6 mil heavy duty plastic. I installed two fans on one end of the booth blowing down and in, Installed furnace filters on each side of the fans. I installed a 8" "squirrel" exhaust fan at the botoom of the booth, across from my inlet fans. Ran exhaust vents up and outside, with an exterior wall vent fixture that closes when not in use and only allows air to flow out. for the door,i Used on shhet of plastic inside,weighted at the bottom with magnetic stripping on each side of the flap,next i put in the industrial strength Zipdoor by Zipwall, followed by another plastic flap on the outside again with magnets and weighted at the bottom. I also lined the interior wall with heavy duty insulated vent boards (will be replaced by frp boards once I have the money. So far it has worked great! I also just recently mounted two infrared drying lamps and an LED shop light that is a million times brighter than the florescent bulb counterparts. I can provide pictures and instructions if anyone
    is interested.