Anyone ever used these filters? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone ever used these filters?

Itchin2DipItchin2Dip Posts: 228Member ✭✭✭
i was given this filter. It's a cartridge style and it seems so industrial use.  It says to filter out oil, water, and other contaminants.   The cartridges are $40 and they are filled with desiccant from me shaking it around.    I have my line ran from my tank with a coil then runs about 30 feet into this big yellow filter then up to a separate water filter then my regulator which is screwed into a bulkhead I made.  Inside the booth I just have a quick connect. But my hose for the booth stays in there.  I use all high flow connections.  and am about to upgrade to 3/4" everywhere.  But just curious if I need to start looking for a better filter or will this be ok? I believe Bullard is the name brand 

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,465Administrator El Jefe
    Looks like a CT30...you should be fine...
  • Itchin2DipItchin2Dip Posts: 228Member ✭✭✭
    Seems to be for fresh air supply or tools.   But I'm sure you can't used air from a compressor and just this and set pressure really low and be ok for fresh air.   I'm sure it's missing some components, then just hooked this to compressure and regulate pressure low and that's it. 

I sure would like a supplied air system one day.  
    No, no it doesn't work that way...you actually have to set the air high...around 60lbs at the regulator. The supplied hood has to have a higher supplied pressure...mainly because it is being forced into the hood at a constant pressure to keep out the VOC's...

So technically that filter would be ok with the Charcoal and all...but you would still need a National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) certification on your hood...and those ain't cheap...BUT? If I had it to do all over again? I would have FOUND the money...I was stupid to go without them for so long...
    ok, so I can hook this filter up directly to my air line, and regulate to 60, and buy a NIOSH hood, and go from filter to Hood and be OK? I thought there was a lot more to it... and Im sure this is a very good application for drying and filtering my airline... but if I can do this for breathing air, I am all ears..... I can get my hands on another one....
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,668Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @Itchin2Dip I have dealt with alot of supplied air hoods. Its not that easy to do it legally or right. There is a 4 stage filtration (last stage is carbon filter) that takes place to make that air breathable. Atomized oil is NOT good to breath, and your activated carbon can get saturated quickly and pass that through. Most systems monitor CO as well because that can kill you quickly when its in the compressed air. You need to change the filters at regular intervals, since there is no way to clean activated carbon that is saturated with oil.
    I gotcha, yea this says its a 7 stage filtration, but I think I am going to stick with my resprirator and well ventilated room as of now..... and just use this to have good air to my gun... I am nervous about going to sleep and never waking up....
    Your supplied air hood will come with a filter and a "change schedule"...usually every 3 months for filters...
    Sorry to bring up old thread.  But @K2Concepts    I got this supplied air mask. It's got a built in regulator on mask and a purge valve to let pressurized air in and a harness to hold hose.     I plugged it in after filter And put regualtor at 50psi and it works good, easy to breath and didn't smell anything funny.  (only took a few breaths because I'm unsure).   I know the answer,  get correct training.   But it's America,  ain't nobody got time to dat or the money.   I'm just trying to prolong these lungs from fumes.  But I don't want to end up dead in my booth.  

I just ordered a new cartridge for that 7 stage filter.     I am going to put a big 1" water trap before the 7 stage to be safe. this filter will only be used as fresh air.  hypothetically asking, would this be a safe set up?   What would you do different?    I was even thinking of buying a few of these CO stickers and tuck at the bottom  that way I would have something I could see if I was consuming C0      I just don't know who to ask and the internet shows a lot of different combinations    I don't stay in the booth longer than 10-15 stints    Get in there gets my coats and walk out in mixing room until it flashes      Would this be safe?
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,668Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Unless your entire system is rated for Grade D air... you aren't breathing Grade D air. End of story.

"Is there a way to do this cheaply without taking training or spending money?" No, just like everything else in this industry.
    Ok yes you need training but you also need to go back and read what we were trying to tell you...

First off? Carbon Monoxide is a by product of incomplete combustion...so if you do not have a gasoline powered compressor or a forklift running or semi truck idling near by the intake of the compressor? YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY CO BEING PRODUCED!!!!...PERIOD....It doesn't come out of thin air...That is not a concern!!!!

Now for the price of that mask? I would go get the SATA 2000 or now the 3000 fresh air supplied hoods...they are very close in price and the SATA is NIOSH rated and comes with a carbon filter and it's a hood so it won't be a sweat box like that full face mask you are looking at...plus you can wear glasses or even have a beard and not worry about the full face mask getting in the way...I am almost positive we payed $750 each for ours....

So to recap? NO YOU DO NOT HAVE A CO PROBLEM...unless you have an engine running by your air compressor intake...

#2 Stick with a NIOSH rated product like a SATA WITH a hood and you will be much better off than with any full face mask...
    Yep. It doesn't creep up out of the ground. Go and get a CO monitor from Home depot and hang it near the intake of your compressor. If it is going off, then you are sure to be getting it sucked into your lines. Cheap insurance, and doesn't make you look like an extra from "Top Gun"