Clear Base Over Aluminum — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clear Base Over Aluminum

I have a customer asking me to dip polished aluminum valve covers. Wondering if anyone has had any success or failures using OHW intercoat clear in a similar application. I would think I would have to blast them a little to give the metal at least some profile. Maybe walnut shells?

Thanks in advance
Paul

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,812Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Walnut Shell is probably not going to do much to create a profile for paint Adhesion. Jason? @onehitwonder
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,750Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Walnut shell won't do much at all. 
  • KranialKoatingsKranialKoatings Posts: 22Member
    Yeah, I'm trying to figure a way to keep the polished aluminum look under the dip. I think with glass bead you would lose that look.
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,635Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you get away with a scuff?
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,812Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Even glass bead won't give you a great profile for painting. It's dimples the surface, rather than etching it. Maybe it would be better on aluminum since it's soft. You want garnet or AO (something that is sharp and cuts/etches) for creating a proper profile for painting.

I actually have a paint supplier that just mentioned to me that they have a clear which will go direct to aluminum. A rim manufacturer uses is for coating their aluminum rims. I can get you his contact information. Now... I'm not sure if the clear will accept a dip, pretty sure it's just a specialized 2k urethane. You'd have to talk to him and see if they've tested that.

Can you get away with a scuff?

I'm not sure. I have some scrap aluminum checker plate laying around here somewhere. I might have to polish it up and give it a try.

Even glass bead won't give you a great profile for painting. It's dimples the surface, rather than etching it. Maybe it would be better on aluminum since it's soft. You want garnet or AO (something that is sharp and cuts/etches) for creating a proper profile for painting.

I actually have a paint supplier that just mentioned to me that they have a clear which will go direct to aluminum. A rim manufacturer uses is for coating their aluminum rims. I can get you his contact information. Now... I'm not sure if the clear will accept a dip, pretty sure it's just a specialized 2k urethane. You'd have to talk to him and see if they've tested that.

If it can't be dipped over I guess you could always let it cure well then try OHW intercoat clear over it. Just adds another stem and cost for the client.

Thanks for the responses so far,
    Paul

If it can't be dipped over I guess you could always let it cure well then try OHW intercoat clear over it. Just adds another stem and cost for the client.

Thanks for the responses so far,
    Paul

Good point. Clear w/ this to maintain the shine, scuff, then intercoat. I think that's a system that would work. Email Marc Devaud at marc@onpacefs.com and tell him you were referred by Joe from Mid Ohio Hydro and you want some of his direct to aluminum clear. Not sure of the price as we never discussed that part of it.
    Thanks Joe. I will send him an email and see what he says. Hopefully he can ship to Canada.
    I just spoke w/ him again to let him know you'd be contacting him and he also mentioned they have an adhesion promoter that goes to any surface that can be dipped to. Interesting. I'll be getting more info about this today as it could save me an entire step of painting some parts.
  • t_ozt_oz Posts: 98Member ✭✭
    Please share what you find @MidOhioHydrographics on that AP.
    I found out it's expensive. Lol! Didn't get any further than that. Email Marc Devaud and he can get you more info
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,635Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can get away with a light scuff, OHW intercoat will do the trick
    I think I will try the OHW with a light scuff and see how it comes out. I am having trouble finding a Canadian vendor for the other product so I'm thinking it might not meet environmental regs for here.