Fejery's dip tank build — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fejery's dip tank build

Fejery4491Fejery4491 Posts: 115Member ✭✭✭
I posted these in my new members intro but figured this would be a much better spot to document the build of our tank. Everything so far has been freebies from various friends and locals that owe us some favors. Tank is an old heavy duty food grade stainless steel cabinet and the frame is built of recycled pallet racking. Goal is to be dipping in the new tank by the end of the month!

Comments

• K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,761Administrator El Jefe
    It's amazing how many great ideas come from a 12 pack of beer...
  • 2Kreate2Kreate Posts: 283Member ✭✭✭
    It's amazing how many great ideas come from a 12 pack of beer...
    And bad ideas as well haha. This one was a good idea! 
  • Fejery4491Fejery4491 Posts: 115Member ✭✭✭
    Got a little more done today. Got our water heater installed and plumbed in all the water lines.

photo 20170122_125636.jpg

There were plenty of holes that needed to be filled in the stainless cabinet to make it water tight, so I broke out the TIG and got to work....

photo 20170122_125707.jpg

And we finished up by painting our frame.

photo 20170122_151954.jpg

photo 20170122_170538.jpg

photo 20170122_170545.jpg
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,857Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Nice work. Looking good
  • PanamaCityHydroPanamaCityHydro Posts: 541Member ✭✭✭
    gonna put some wheels on that beast? I saw the leveling nut you threw on there. good idea. cool thread!
    Nice work. Looking good
    Thanks. So far its turning out way better than either of us intially anticipated. We're also WAY under budget, which is always a good problem to have!

gonna put some wheels on that beast? I saw the leveling nut you threw on there. good idea. cool thread!
    I doubt we'll put wheels on it. The cement in this shop is pretty old, uneven, and cracking. According to our calculations it'll weight in the ballpark of 3000 lbs fully filled with water, the casters would probably just get stuck constantly. We'll just find a home for it in the shop, level it, and leave it be. Thanks for the interest!
  • PanamaCityHydroPanamaCityHydro Posts: 541Member ✭✭✭
    well the wheels really only are for when its empty, no way in heck your moving that beast with water in it :)

well the wheels really only are for when its empty, no way in heck your moving that beast with water in it :)

This...
    I guess we just figured if we ever needed to move it we'd just use the forklift
    Got a little more done today. Cut the holes and welded in all the fittings.

Then we made our heating grid, installed it in the tank, and tested the system.

Then we installed our exhaust fan and plumbed the rest of the system. The only thing left is jets to clear the tank. We hope to take it for a test run sometime this week.

• t_ozt_oz Posts: 100Member ✭✭
    That is pretty low on the fan clearance. Hope you don't have to dip anything that requires a high angle of approach. Tank looks good and if you have a forklift you don't need not stink'n wheels...lol
  • BigCountryHydroBigCountryHydro Posts: 144Member ✭✭✭
    ^^  I was thinking the same thing.   
    edited January 2017
    t_oz said:
    That is pretty low on the fan clearance. Hope you don't have to dip anything that requires a high angle of approach. Tank looks good and if you have a forklift you don't need not stink'n wheels...lol
    I appreciate the input! That is something we did think about after the fact. But with our limited experience we didnt know if it would be an issue or not. Luckily we can easily redo the palet racking and raise it if need been. Or just completely eliminate that shelf if it really starts to bug us. The box is built into the shelf but the fan and motor is actually floating, anchored into the wall. We'd just have to reanchor it higher and away we'd go.
    Post edited by Fejery4491 on
    edited February 2017
    Got our overhead lighting installed and built our control box. Got our temperature control programmed and working awesome. We're getting close....
    photo 20170131_203321.jpg

edited February 2017
    Buttoning up some odds and ends and testing/adjusting the clearing jets. But she's got water in her.....won't be long now!

photo 20170216_192035.jpg

I also used the old cabinet doors to make a tank cover for when it's not in use and cleaned up the tank a bit.

photo 20170204_223529.jpg
    Looking good...
    Tank is working awesome. Heats from 55 degrees to 90 in a little under 3 hours. Need a slightly larger pump for our clearing jets, but it does good enough for the time being. Learning a little more every week and really enjoying the process, kinda want to start charging for work but want to save up and get some training under my belt first.

Some pictures of some random stuff I've been doing....

• DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,409Member ✭✭✭✭
    Looking good I just did my bersa thunder also
  • phantom3phantom3 Posts: 28Member
    what an awesome thread well done man
    @phantom3 thanks for the compliment. Tank is still working great. Though I sometime wish we had built it a hair shorter.
  • dipdemondipdemon Posts: 109Member ✭✭✭
    Nice Tank
    commerical quality and very nice work