We need a diy tank plan section

THC_ConceptsTHC_Concepts Posts: 355Member ✭✭✭
We need a section that has plans to build a tank... Like a blueprint. That way people that want to build one can just download the plans for the size tank they want and build it, that would take a lot of guess work out of the building process.... That way someone could buy the materials at their leisure and then take it to a fab shop along with the blueprints and get it built without the hassle of having to baby sit he shop... Does this make sense? What do you guys think?

Comments

• MasterjqxMasterjqx Posts: 990Member ✭✭✭
    A blueprint would work if it was the same thing everyone was working with, so far i have seen everyone in the diy section made a tank from different items, Im currently building mine and its really pretty much stick built ( Built on sight ) so i dont even have blueprints of my own tank :) The Universal items like heating elements, flanges, pvc and other stuff could have a linked section but i think that just falls into the tank builders posts. If your planning on buying actual sheets of stainless and building a "Professional Tank" expect to pay near the same as you would if you bought one from PA Hydrographics. i built mine out of a dairy tank because i live in central florida, nothing here but oranges and cows, it was easy to find a used tank.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,340Administrator El Jefe
    The DIY section is for you members to use as you see fit...feel free to start a thread to distribute the information freely...that's why I started this forum...
  • THC_ConceptsTHC_Concepts Posts: 355Member ✭✭✭
    MASTERJQX, I was referring to building it from materials not make shift like what I have... Some of us know how to weld, others like myself that have friends that can, and bartering kills a ton labor cost off... I priced sheets of stainless locally and they're $270ish a sheet... I wouldn't think you'd need more than 4 sheets and reinforcement angle was fairly priced, can't remember right off... I traded labor to a friend and we worked out a deal that I buy all the materials, he'll cut, build and weld it all for me... I'm sure I'm not the only one that can manage that kind of deal

Jim, thanks man... By the way, my Air Gunsa came in today and that thing is a BEAST, Best $100 I've spent for the setup yet ;)
  • liquidvisionsliquidvisions Posts: 137Member ✭✭
    Anytime you have someone draw up a blue print it usually costs something. i have one of my tank. but i also have a lot of time in it, not real sure that id want to give it to someone else. Not trying to sound like a **badword**. But idk ill think about it. Im willing to help and answer questions as i didnt get much help, i did hours of research and made my blueprint changing it several times.
    plus not to mention theres not really that much to them lol im just anal about mine
  • HardeightHardeight Posts: 584Member ✭✭✭
    I made a sketchup of my build only because I wanted to calculate material requirements, but after that I did it all out of my head. I used to draw fabrication plans for a living, have access to the latest CAD software, it would have taken my 5 minutes, and I still didn't think it was necessary. Most fab guys don't even use plans for something this simple. They just wing it.
    In the end it's just an open top box that holds water.

What size tank are you planning on building?
    I totally understand where you're coming from LiquidVisions

I'm wanting to build a 7' tank

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Hardeight said:

I made a sketchup of my build only because I wanted to calculate material requirements....

+1 on Sketch Up usage. I use that program for everything, particularly my woodworking hobby. Can draw almost anything on there, head off problems and estimate materials. Then take the model apart in the program and print free measured plans to follow. Pics are of a vanity and mirror I drew up then built for our bathroom remodel.
    Hardeight said:

I made a sketchup of my build only because I wanted to calculate material requirements, but after that I did it all out of my head. I used to draw fabrication plans for a living, have access to the latest CAD software, it would have taken my 5 minutes, and I still didn't think it was necessary. Most fab guys don't even use plans for something this simple. They just wing it.
    In the end it's just an open top box that holds water.

What size tank are you planning on building?

I disagree whole heartedly... The is no way that my tank is just a open box that holds water... cycle times, consistent results, day to day processing? That is the most fatal error that most guys entering into this industry make... it's just a open box that holds water...nothing could be further from the truth...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,404Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    And now it gets interesting..... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    Ehh..maybe...but I guarantee that I can run circles around ANY "open box top" tank that holds hot water...I also have access to the the latest software and have actually been employed in the fabrication industry for the last 31 years...If you want to build your own tank? Fine...dig into it..but do not degrade a true professional tank by classifying it as nothing more than a "open box that holds water"...I will fly anyone down to my shop and let them try to keep up with me in my tank...and pay for their flight back if they can beat me in a one on one dipping...
    If you are going to spend your money building a tank, regardless of it's end use? You are better off building a professional type tank...and there is a whole lot more there than just a "hot tub"...
    I wasn't referring to the mechanics running the system. I was just taking about the structure.
    Calculating the heating requirements, flow rate, how long it will hold temp, how often it will need to cycle and for how long are different issues all together but a fab shop won't do that either.
    Maybe I just got lucky but I built my 5'x3' tanks for less than a grand. It does everything I need it to do and more. I could be wrong and would be man enough to admit it but I don't think any tank, the same size, I could buy would do anything better than mine. I would just have to see it to believe it.
    Now on the other hand, a tank the size you run is a completely different beast all together and requires different considerations.
    Hardeight said:

I wasn't referring to the mechanics running the system. I was just taking about the structure.
    Calculating the heating requirements, flow rate, how long it will hold temp, how often it will need to cycle and for how long are different issues all together but a fab shop won't do that either.
    Maybe I just got lucky but I built my 5'x3' tanks for less than a grand. It does everything I need it to do and more. I could be wrong and would be man enough to admit it but I don't think any tank, the same size, I could buy would do anything better than mine. I would just have to see it to believe it.
    Now on the other hand, a tank the size you run is a completely different beast all together and requires different considerations.

Well played sir...and I do agree with you...I just get a little passionate about tanks because it seems to be the most popular subject when someone calls me...

Well played sir...and I do agree with you...I just get a little passionate about tanks because it seems to be the most popular subject when someone calls me...

Nothing like seeing videos on facebook with people promoting using dip kits in their beer coolers as a makeshift tank.... :|
    I guess tanks are a subject I shouldn't oversimplify. Never know who could come along and read it out of context.
    I HAVE those dip kit videos... People see them do it and think that's that and want to know why I charge so much for doing, when in fact I'm usually right on par with everyone else in town that does as good a job as I do
    edited March 2014
    I had a buddy come by my house today, he brought over one of his buddys with him, and this guy tried to give me a lecture how dipping is so easy and how i waisted a bunch of money building my stainless tank, he quoted, " People dip stuff out of rubbermade totes on youtube, and he did research on "Kits" you can buy to dip items for 100$", I just laughed it off, continued to drink my beer and changed the subject. If people feel they can do this with kits and totes, by all means feel free to do it :)
  • trailLifetrailLife Posts: 136Member ✭✭
    Ill ne honest. First time I did a dip it was a $100 kit online. and it ended up costing more for an AR furniture dip than the closest shop offering hydro. But after my experience I was himvled. did a lot more research, some training, and started investing. I'm now building a 7x4x3 tank that will handle.my most common requests I've recieved during my first year. Yupp total newbie here. Ill be the first to tell I DONT KNOW IT ALL. But the things I do know I'm 100% confident in. The videos Jim puts out have been a hige help to an improve the product I put out. and for that I'm greatfull This forum has also been a big help and for that I also say thank you. As for an open box. Yeah I was like that at first then realized I really needed a more efficient and better operating tank.
  • RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Nothing like have the proper tools for the job. Just makes life easier and the job go smoother.

Yep some think they can get the kit and have a perfect dip with it, but if it screws up they are out that kit and whatever else its going to cost for you to do it right. If we have a dip go bad its on our dime until it leaves the shop right.
  • wicked_dipzwicked_dipz Posts: 564Member ✭✭✭
    Dont forget the materials that are used in a dip kit are inferior. Prep is part of a good dip so to me items coming from a spray can are trash. The film is the same and the activator is the same but the krylon spray paint and the enamel clear you are putting over it will yield undesirable results at least to me but to alot of people they dont realize good stuff compared to **badword** stuff. As far as a tank My brother built mine I helped a little but he had access to all the machinery to bend the metal so I bought some stainless and off we went. took a couple weeks due to work schedule but Id imagine the tank I have is probably a 5 or 6k tank if I were to go buy one somewhere and we did it for way way way less then that. We went overkill I had it set up for 4 heating elements and quickly found out I only need 2 but if I ever wanted to use it would be easy to switch back. I dont see there really being blue prints because you figure up what size you want it and then go get the metal to make it that size as far as the tank itself.
    Dang just looked at a similar tank in size and it was 7k bucks on ebay
    Rattle can does great when you're just starting out learning, but in no way can be used for a business.... My very first real dip job I did for my best friend, he was my guinea pig. I dipped his vent visors in snake skin and used all rattle can paints and clear... Turned out looking fantastic and he was thrilled to have a one off set for his truck... Fast forward 2.5 years and they are back in my shop this week getting stripped back down and redone with my good **badword**. The Red Boa turned yellow and the black faded to gray... We stripped them down and I redipped them yesterday. He super excited because now they'll be permanently done... I use his truck as an example to anyone thinking it's a simple task
    Not being rude but obviously they didnt turn out fantastic. I bet they yellowed rather quickly rattle can clear has no uv protection in it and Im sure the black faded very fast as well. Thats exactly what Im saying people dont realize the difference even if it looked good when you first did it or when someone does something it will look like hell shortly after and most arent smart enough to realize its the materials used instead they blame it on the hydrographics and say the stuff is junk
    No rudeness taken, I totally agree, when I say phenomenal, I mean rattle can phenomenal. I doubt anyone else could have done a better job with OReillys paints. The final product, finish and all turned out great, lucky for me my day job is spent color sanding scratches at work on cars, after about 7 coats of clear and LOTS of sanding, they did look phenomenal, again for rattle paint, here's a pic but doesn't show the gloss, you can see a sparkle up there on top left, lol... But indeed, they turned yellow and faded in less than a couple of months.

Here's a pic of them after sanding and buffing the first time... I'll repost when I finish these up later this week.
  • jbaxtromjbaxtrom Posts: 25Member
    i use OHW.. what is the diffrence in there rattle can and the paint gun .. other than more consistant coming from the gun ... same quality from the paint and clear right... im not joking if there is a diffrence tell me .. i use the rattle cans on small stuff that i dont want to get the gun out for and i havent had any prob yet.... has anyone elce ?
    No difference in OHW rattle cans from there quarts, i use OHW rattle cans for small items, saves me in cost for cleaning guns, especally if i am dipping small items that are different colors, cans help a bunch. largest i have used cans on so far is cow skulls. anything larger with a more spread of a area i would use air guns just for the spray pattern.
  • RBurressRBurress Posts: 1,553Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    JJ said there is not a difference in the paints but as for the clears, the rattle cans are not as durable as the quarts.