Newbie From Canada

Looking at getting into dipping and have some questions.
Is it worth printing your own graphics? Where do you buy graphics to print?
I can get a good deal on a Canon IPF8300 printer and from what I researched, it can print pigment ink for hydrographics. So could someone steer me in the right direction ...Please?

Comments

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,276Member, Moderator El Moderator
    Welcome to the forum. This and probably most of any other questions has been answered and can be found in the search bar. This is not to dismiss your question, but in order to hasten your getting the answers you seek instead of hoping that the previous posters retell their experiences here. We have a couple of members that have had great success in printing quality film, though it seems to take a lot of trial and error to get it right and sounds quite expensive. Makes sense since tons of people would be doing it if it were easy or inexpensive.
  • DrGixxerDrGixxer Posts: 5Member
    Thanks for the reply.
    I did try searching but couldn't find anything with the exact information. I will keep looking too.
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,444Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Welcome!

This thread may help:
    http://k2forums.com/discussion/5319/in-house-printing-how-to-so-far/p1

Usually the Epson Workforce is recommended. And I know there is a Part A and Part B and other wizardry that is necessary...

Honestly I don't know that it's worth printing it yourself on demand. Alan @studebaker can have me whatever I want in a matter of days. About the same as just ordering film from any other supplier. I let him do his job, and I do mine. If you're just getting started in dipping, you have a very long road ahead of you. It's a steep learning curve just using regular films. My recommendation is to start there.... get training and equipment and start practicing. THEN look into if you have enough demand to need film right away in custom patterns and revisit the idea.
  • studebakerstudebaker Posts: 3,050Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DrGixxer Welcome to the forum! I'm glad to see you're starting in the right place. The two previous posts are absolutely right on target. Printing your own hydrographic film is easy and very hard.... But you have indeed started with a printer that is capable of printing on hydrographic film. Our own forum member @pahydrographics has started experimenting with that printer and hopefully will share his experiences on his road to custom hydrographic film printing.

But to get more answers, you need to ask specific questions.... It's very hard to answer a general request to "steer you in the right direction". But we're here to grow as a group, and we like to share our experiences to the edification of anybody interested in the whole hydrographic scene.

To answer your first question, Yes pigment printers will print on PVA film, so the Canon IPF8300 will do the job.

"Is it worth printing your own graphics?" Yes and no. If you are customizing small objects like Xbox controllers with a different graphic on each one, yes, it is worth printing your own film. If you are decorating rifles or golf carts, not so much. There's too much to go wrong to rely on a pigment printer. Especially with the smooth and even application of the fixative to large printed film.

"Where do you buy graphics to print?" You can find seamless patterns on sites like depositphotos.com, shutterstock.com or graphicstock.com. Or make your own. You can learn how to do that here on Youtube.com

@MidOhioHydrographics advice, "get training and equipment and start practicing." is spot on. To do it right you need to understand the WHOLE process.

You can buy blank film and fixative at prostreetgraphix.com and soon pva.supply will be online mid-February to sell hydrographic printing supplies to the general public.
  • loochlooch Posts: 1,743Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum and there is a training class in Ohio thats open 
  • NickelCityHydroNickelCityHydro Posts: 686Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. What part of Canada are you located?
    Thanks for the reply Studebaker
    I will do more research and training will follow but found a deal on a printer so wanted to grab it so that I didn't miss out on it.
    Training will follow also.
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,727Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    welcome to the forum
    @NickelCityHydro I am in the Edmonton area.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 13,380Administrator El Jefe
    Welcome to the forum...
  • onehitwonderonehitwonder Posts: 2,746Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard
    edited January 2017
    Who has the best training?
  • DallenDallen Posts: 1,727Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭
    K2 concepts
    Dallen said:

K2 concepts

That's tight...
  • KranialKoatingsKranialKoatings Posts: 28Member
    Welcome to the forum.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,901Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I choose @BigBrainGraphics to do training cause even thought they cover the SAME topics a K2, they do it over 3 days while K2 does it in 2 days. So, spread out more.. a lot more expensive, but I like how the class is 'slower'. Not shoved at you so fast.

Just my thoughts.

Location will determine a lot also.. like I can drive to Big brain in about 4.5 hours.. but it's like a all day flight to Cali (where k2 is located)
    The reason we do 2 days instead of 3? Is because most guys check out after 2 days when they are not in their own bed...I have trained over 400 companies so I kinda know when a person has checked out...it's my job to know...

So it's not shoved at you...I pace the class and I know exactly what a person can retain...and what they can't...when to brake and back up over a topic and when to brush over a subject the student already knows...I never shove any information at anyone...all topics are broken down into just 2 or 3 memory aids...I have been involved in public speaking and teaching for well over 30 years...
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 9,444Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    The remote training classes (Ohio in May) are 3 days... :smiley: AND a business seminar on the 4th. With tons of extra instructors, all that do some aspect of this industry on a professional level. Big Brain will be there, actually.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,481Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah Sorry @smedlin I have been to almost every remote, I have to disagree. I see that look of terror in everyone's eyes when they realize what they are getting into... but at the end, everyone gets it. You see the minute someone really starts bringing it together, and you know they got their money's worth. Granted the Remotes are 3 days, but you are also sharing the instructors with 15 other companies.
  • smedlinsmedlin Posts: 1,901Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    O, I wasn't being negative.

I looked really hard at going to K2 for training. But flying for 2 (with wife) would have almost tripped the price vs a 4 hour drive to Big Brains.

As far at the 3 day format, the class schedule spends an entire day on painting, clearing, etc. THAT is where the wife and I will probably need the most training.

And, being honest, I know myself. I have an undergrad in Computer Science and a Masters in Software Engineering. I know all to well about burn out and brain overload. All to well.... I'd rather slow the class down a bit. That and spend an entire day covering painting.

And like I said, location also plays into it. If I lived on the west coast, I'd go to K2.

Again, wasn't being negative or disrespectful. If I came across that way, it wasn't intended.

smedlin said:

I looked really hard at going to K2 for training. But flying for 2 (with wife) would have almost tripped the price vs a 4 hour drive to Big Brains.

And like I said, location also plays into it. If I lived on the west coast, I'd go to K2.

I can fully understand the travel issue. Makes it much more costly, especially when taking time away from work. And I firmly agree that you didn't make a bad or wrong decision. Sean and Dinnetta seem like fantastic people and they've have a ton of experience dipping. You won't be disappointed.

smedlin said:

As far at the 3 day format, the class schedule spends an entire day on painting, clearing, etc. THAT is where the wife and I will probably need the most training.

And, being honest, I know myself. I have an undergrad in Computer Science and a Masters in Software Engineering. I know all to well about burn out and brain overload. All to well.... I'd rather slow the class down a bit. That and spend an entire day covering painting.

This is a good point to bring up. The K2 remotes require a bit more of initiative by the students themselves. The booth is always open and there is always someone there to help you, so you could spend all 3 days there if you'd like. But, others will be around also, and the instructors won't make you spend a certain amount of time in any one area. It's not quite like 1 on 1 training where the instructor is there only for you, but it really isn't far off. I've done both. We recommend everyone hit each station and learn every aspect. But if you don't want to see Trevor's clear coat polishing seminar? Don't go over there. Or put it last on your list in case you do need more time in the booth.

The thing I like most about the K2 Training (again, I don't make a dime off this, just an observation) is the availability of multiple products for you to try and make your own decisions. For example, the last training had:
    - my Liquid Print tank and PA Hydro tanks to use
    - One Hit Wonder, Kansas DTP, and Aqualac paints
    - Hydrovator, Kansas HydroGator, K2 Brew, and K2 SuperBrew activators

With no pressure to buy anything. Again, may be overwhelming for some but very valuable for others.
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 6,481Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @MidOhioHydrographics If I had feelings... they would be hurt.