Heating elements in scavenge tank only? — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heating elements in scavenge tank only?

norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 844Member ✭✭✭
Question for the guys that are heating their scavenge tank only. Are you able to get the surface temp to stay at 90 degrees when you are dipping? Or are you running an element in your tank also and turning it off before you dip and only running the scavenge tank element when dipping?

Comments

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,703Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    I have a spa circulating pump that I run when not dipping which continuously keeps the dip side up to temp. Just run it overnight to keep it right for morning. Through the day it stays fine while dipping.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,460Administrator El Jefe
    edited January 2017
    Mine are in the scavenge side and are on the entire time we are dipping....unless it gets too hot? Then we can just turn them off...and yes it keeps both the surface temperature and the whole tank warm or at 90...
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,666Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    We have elements only on the scavenge side and we run for a bit before we dip. Dip side stays at 90° for a few minutes... then down to 89° doesn't seem to have effected our dips for a few years now.
  • norcalfranknorcalfrank Posts: 844Member ✭✭✭
    Excellent. Thanks for the info. I really didn't want to put an element in the main tank for the various reasons, and didn't know if just spraying the top of the water would be sufficient. Since I don't dip everyday, the tank would be on the cold side when I went to use it depending on ambient temps.
  • stephenmoore009stephenmoore009 Posts: 1Member
    Should these tanks be plugged into a gfi outlet..? Our heating element went out yesterday and was popping and cracking and the scavenge side was glowing under the filter material, (arcing I suppose)..! I rushed over and unplugged it then briefly plugged it back in to see what was making the noise and it didn't do anything. Although the pump still worked so I assumed it was the heating element and after further investigation it was...
    long story short, it didn't flip the breaker on the tank but the arcing issue has me worried..??? If one of us had been dipping at the time would we have got fried..??? 

• MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,703Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    @stephenmoore009 Yes. It's required by code to plug them into a ground fault outlet or (like in my case), a 40A ground fault breaker on that circuit.