Working on it — K2Forums.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Working on it

Itchin2DipItchin2Dip Posts: 228Member ✭✭✭
today I finally got to start my paint booth.  I've got two c channel at peak I will put a plate of plate glass the entire 8' with it. Wing 12" wide. Two 4' LED will slide on the top of them giving me 8' of bright lights. I'm also hanging that smooth white wall paneling where the seams will be joints without any gaps what so ever.  I then added a wall and walk through door that way if someone walks into the shed, they won't be walking into spay booth. I am cutting a 4' wide and 2' tall opening at the wall and install a box one the outside to install one or two fans giving me a 2x4 filter area.  My question is,  should I take out the middle glass and take out the bottom piece of screen door and install a big filter housing giving me 2/3 of the door for a inlet filter. Or use the window?  I'm also wanting to know best location of exhaust filter   If I put filters in walkthrough door,  should I do it at the bottom on wall strait across from it or the side across from the window    The side of shed I am closet to will  e my paint mixed, pouring, and social media room between Coats  it will be air conditioned and heated     Thanks guys

Comments

• NotSoFastNotSoFast Posts: 3,138Member, Moderator El Moderator
    For proper air flow, You'd probably need a filter bank the size of the whole door. You will want your intake filter up high and exhaust filter down low to keep dust and over spray down away from your parts, optimally.
  • K2ConceptsK2Concepts Posts: 12,460Administrator El Jefe
    Yea what he said...
  • Itchin2DipItchin2Dip Posts: 228Member ✭✭✭
    Ok.  Well,   What about a 10" wide and 87" long filter at the peak of the ceiling?   I will offset lights on the ceiling on each side of the filter at an angle toward middle of booth.   

I hope ole they didn't cut those pieces of glass for my lights.  I'm making sealed boxes for them. They are LED   Not the bulb type led either.  So no internal spark but I still rather in a box sealed up. Let me call and change dimensions 
    Google the cfm you need for the size of your booth. Look online for a booth that flows the same amount of air. I'm just guessing, but a bank of about 6-8 20x20 filters should do it.
    This is where We stopped tonight.    Every seam has a divider where each seam overlaps and sits in a U type channel about a quarter of an inch.  And a PITA to get them in. But I can guarantee no dust will be coming through the walls or ceiling.   

I just got to add the plentum to the backside as low as I can get it, which will attach to the outside leaving my exhaust filter bank flush with wall.   It will be 28" x 48". 

I am am still undecided if I am going to make a wall size intake filter bank between the studs and use two slots which will leave me an 34" x 84".  Or going directly in the peak of roof with a 10" x 86" Intake filter and two triangular Intake filters above door and angles wall, which will pull in climate controlled, dry air.   

Then em find a good floor to put down... would a thick epoxy floor be ok? Or is there something I should do?  I want to be able to wipe my whole booth down and mop clean.  

then its just adding my Brick paneling in my fresh air side and shelves and then get busy time.  

• WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,665Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Honestly, use tyvek on the floor. When it sheds, it doesn't lint. Easily replaced, and cheap
    thanks I am going to look it up now

this is why I love this forum!!
    and these two blowers will be temporary until I can get a good explosion proof one.... but to say so far, including the building which is made out of all 2" square tubing and 6 inch I beams, and all materials to do what I am doing, and AC/Heat, I am only at $1100. that's a sealed booth with what I am hoping to be good ventilation and a room I can pour my paint and keep all my spraying equipment. I want to add a dehumidifier in here as well, that way I can paint no matter the weather.
    Where I ended tonight.  The lighting and ventilation is temporary.  I just had to make a 24 x 28 x 24 plentum on the outside of a window for my exhaust and I used the door for my Intake. I have quite a few jobs I need to get out. They've waited long enough.  But I can say one thing, with the plentum and knocking my booth down to a 8x8 /'d also almost being sealed other than needing to caulk the very few hairline cracks, it def vents so much better.  I can't wait to install the 30" x 80" Intake wall and my much bigger exhaust.  And also the ease of taking a damp sponge mop to the walls and ceilings to get all overspray off and keep dust down when spraying.   I'll update when I get further along with it.

and the good thing is, with my plentum I built for window, i I will leave it installed be able to open window and flip a switch and have a 2' x 2' paintbooth for small items and airbrushing.    
    @Itchin2Dip Just a friendly reminder to use a non-silicone caulk for the booth. If you already knew, it can serve as a reminder for folks in the future.
    Ok. I thought that's what I read. But you know it's funny, I asked 2 body shop owners and they are very well known for their quality of work. They told me 100% silicone. I asked them about where I read to use non-silicone chaulk and they said as long as it's 100% and sets all the way before you paint, it's ok. What's the reasoning? And are both these body shop owners wrong?

And I got my plentum built that's going to mount to the bottom of my exterior was and I will mount two fans on back. And have to cut hole and build a filter bed.
    edited January 2017
    Here's the pics

Even got a little lean too to keep a lot of the rain off the fans. Once I get another piece of aluminum, I will bring the back down half way

• studebakerstudebaker Posts: 2,716Member, Business Ninja ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of having a mini spray booth hanging out the window! Resourceful....
  • WileECoyoteWileECoyote Posts: 5,665Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    No they are not wrong. If it's 100% cured out you are fine... But is it worth taking the chance? Silicates cause fisheyes. Simple as that
  • MidOhioHydrographicsMidOhioHydrographics Posts: 8,702Member, Moderator, Business Ninja El Moderator
    Yeah I used silicone in my booth. But it sat for a long while before we ever painted in it. I didn't know any better at the time. There are plenty of other options, so no need to risk it. ALEX is what I use now. Think it even says "Painter's Caulk"
    Usually whatever is labeled as "paintable" caulk should be good.

Ever smell silicone before it's completely cured...and no, cured isn't the same as dry. Those particles that you can smell land on parts in your booth and cause fisheyes because the paint can't stick to them and run away like oil and water.
    Thanks guys.  I'm going to look up this ALEX caulk.   
    edited January 2017
    I finally got to spray in it last night and man-o-man.  The difference it made.  NO TRASH and no more fog. 

I even temporarly changed up my little turntable table.  It used to be solid and way bigger.  I noticed where it was solid was slinging over spray back up.  So I went with expanded metal and smaller.   I never used the whole space at one time and when spinning I couldn't reach the other side.  

I even temporarly changed up my little turntable table.  It used to be solid and way bigger.  I noticed where it was solid was slinging over spray back up.  So I went with expanded metal and smaller.

Clever boy...
  • kylegabbertkylegabbert Posts: 262Member ✭✭
    So your running negative pressure, inlet from the door, and exhausted through a fan in the wall? 
    That's the basic premise, yes @kylegabbert
    @kylegabbert

I built a "plentum" outside the window.   A 28x28" box and then attracted a fan on the backside of it basically that way I am pulling volume over the whole filter bed now and not just where a fan could be.    He slowed down the velocity a lot too. But the volume of air being moved across the room stayed the same.    And the whole filter is being used now instead ofjuat where the fan was in window.  This booth actually works really well.  I have since did some more modifications and made it a downdraft booth.   And that helped out even more. I really don't cut or buff at all anymore.  Unless I see some imperfections.   These pics are out of the gun     And in the picture with the mirrors you can see where in built the duct and now I'm pulling from the ground     So when I'm shooting, it's basically all being sucked strait out the booth    
  • LibertymanLibertyman Posts: 724Member ✭✭✭
    Looks really good, how much time do you figure you have into the project?
  • DeviousDipsDeviousDips Posts: 1,142Member ✭✭✭✭
    Looks awesome. Parts are coming out very slick
    A good weekend.   And then just Lil things here and there. 
    It's a "Plenum"..not "Plentum"...lol...

And I spy some fish eye...laying your clear down too heavy...looks great other than that...